For the latest RFP on the Sackler Institute Collaboration to Support Adolescent Nutrition, please click here
For the Q&A notes from the July 2nd webinar, please click here
Read The Sackler Institute for Nutrition Science 2014 Annual Report — click here
More than two billion people are affected by malnutrition—both undernutrition and overnutrition—in developed and developing countries. It is well documented that those who struggle with poor nutrition suffer from cognitive development problems, are sick more often, are more prone to disease, and die younger than their nutritionally-secure counterparts.
There is near-universal support for a high-level, coordinated effort to identify core areas of nutrition science research and strategically apply work in these areas to remedy the global crisis in malnutrition. Many organizations are performing cutting-edge research to understand the physiological basis of nutrition-related problems, designing behavioral interventions, and working to advance policy. However, stakeholders across functional and geographic sectors agree that there is a need for a prioritized nutrition science research agenda that is easily accessible and can be translated into application and public policy changes.
To respond to this challenge, the New York Academy of Sciences, in partnership with The Mortimer D. Sackler Foundation, has established The Sackler Institute for Nutrition Science. The Sackler Institute is dedicated to advancing nutrition science research and knowledge, mobilizing communities, and applying this work in the field.
The Sackler Institute for Nutrition Science is dedicated to developing and advancing science-based solutions to the pressing challenges in the field of nutrition.
To accomplish this Mission, The Sackler Institute:
- Builds consensus on a nutrition-science research Agenda to advance scientific research and policy
- Fosters strategic partnerships between and within all sectors that can impact this mission
- Convenes and coordinates with experts across basic and applied biomedical research fields that are impacted by nutrition
- Develops roadmaps leading to the implementation of evidence-based solutions globally
- Nurtures young scientists and cultivates careers in nutrition
- Supports research aligned with the Agenda
- Supports uptake of new knowledge and evidence to effect domestic and international policy change
- Influences the flow of resources to initiate innovative programs and scale-up support of proven interventions to advance the field of nutrition science
For more information about The Sackler Institute for Nutrition Science, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you would like to receive regular email updates from The Sackler Institute for Nutrition Science, please visit www.nyas.org/Subscribe, create an email profile, and be sure to tick the "Nutrition Topical eNewsletter" box.