Join us for Science Alliance's highly anticipated 2-day career planning boot camp! Making the Leap is designed to help demystify the non-academic job search process and teach young scientists how to explore different career paths, determine which ones are a good fit, and successfully prepare and apply for potential jobs. This event is targeted to students and postdocs in the sciences who are planning to enter the job market in the next 12 to 18 months and are considering non-academic careers; other scientific career changers are also welcome to attend.
This interactive program will feature the following workshops:
- Networking: Connect with Self and Others to Find Your Ideal Job
- Tactical Career Development: Becoming the Professional You Want to Be
- Beyond the PhD: Realities of the Job Market Panel Discussion
- CV and Resume Writing for Non-academic Jobs
- Writing the Cover Letter
- Jumping Off the Ivory Tower: Preparing for Interviews outside Academe
- Negotiating the Job Offer
This event is only offered once a year and can only accommodate a limited number of participants, so don't miss your chance to get a comprehensive overview of all the critical nuts and bolts of career planning.
Prior to attending this event, all participants are encouraged to complete an Individual Development Plan at http://myidp.sciencecareers.org/ .
A bag lunch is provided on both days and there will be a networking reception at the end of Day 1.
This two-day event is being organized and hosted by the Science Alliance program of the New York Academy of Sciences. Science Alliance provides career education, development, and training for graduate students and postdocs in the sciences and serves 8,000 young scientists from over forty partner organizations located in the New York metropolitan area, nationally, and around the globe.
The last two years of this workshop have included 165 PhD students, postdocs, and professionals in attendance. Some of the excellent feedback included:
- The course was extremely useful- it kickstarted my efforts to look for a job seriously.
- It has helped me streamline my search and identify points for improvement.
- The course helped me to feel more comfortable with the careers I was exploring and opened up a few avenues I hadn't before considered.
- It was nice to receive some validation about career paths I had been considering.
- The workshop helped me become more confident, by the sheer fact that knowing "I'm not alone", there are others who feel the same way, or felt the same way and made the leap.
- By attending this workshop I was exposed to different career options that are available, which I did not even think about before.
- It definitely helped me become more focused on how to do my career exploration.
- I thought it was well done and achieved the goals it set out to accomplish.
- Information we would not get fast in such a competent way. I loved it. I will definitely recommend the course to others. Thank you!
- The workshop gave a great overview of many aspects of the job search process. It was wonderful to cover so many topics, and understand how they relate to each other. Thank you for organizing this!
|Nonmember (Student / Postdoc / Resident / Fellow)