The New York Academy of Sciences
Insights into Gravitational Wave Astronomy
Posted June 22, 2020
With the first direct observation of gravitational waves announced in February 2016, astrophysics has entered a new era. In this eBriefing, experts review new insights obtained from gravitational wave detections, with emphases on the origin of heavy chemical elements in the universe, and the hints for understanding the nature of gravity and the expansion of the universe.
In This eBriefing, You’ll Learn
- How are gravitational waves generated in the universe and detected on Earth?
- What kind of cosmological events produced very heavy chemical elements such as gold?
- What other types of signals are emitted by the events that generated gravitational waves?
- What information we can extract by analyzing gravitational waves and their electromagnetic counterparts?
- What new physical information can we expect from next generation gravitational wave experiments?