Industry Career Day, Biotech and Pharma
Tuesday, June 6, 2006
Presented by the Science Alliance
Speakers: Claudina Stevenson, PhD, Novartis; Sean Stevens, PhD, Regeneron; Hugo Vargas, PhD, Merck; Meeta Chatterjee, PhD, Schering Plough Research Institute
Almost 50% of PhD scientists will have industry careers, but is this the career path for you? Come to our panel to get information on what life in industry is like. We will examine the following questions:
- What is the environment of industrial science?
- How does it differ from academics? Can you go back to academics?
- \What types of positions are available?
- How do scientists work as a team?
- What mentoring is available?
- Is acquiring the techniques used in the lab a component in my long-term research goals?
- Are there plenty of opportunities to attend scientific meetings and network with other colleagues in order to broaden my exposure?
- Is it possible to publish?
- Are there opportunities to do Industrial postdocs? What benefits/consequences are there to doing a postdoc in industry?
- Is the salary that much better than academics?
- What management opportunities are there for scientists?
9:30 Registration and light breakfast
10:00-12:00 Panel Discussions
12:00 Luncheon (please RSVP to attend lunch)