The Academic Job Hunt
Tuesday, September 26, 2006
Presented by the Science Alliance
Speakers: James P. Allison, Ph.D., MSKCC; Cindy Jo Arrigo, Ph.D., NJCU; Johanna A. Joyce, Ph.D., MSKCC
Join us to discuss the tactics for how to get a tenure track faculty job. Dr. Allison, a member of the National Academy and a faculty member at MSKCC, will offer tips from the search committees. Dr. Arrigo, faculty member at NJCU, will discuss highlighting your teaching and what to expect when applying to a smaller school. Dr. Joyce, faculty member at MSKCC, will present a survival guide to the interview process.
1. When and where do you look for the job.
2. How to tailor your application package for a large or small university.
3. How applications to research institutions differ from those to a university.
4. How to tailor your CV and cover letter to the specific job.
5. How to write a research statement
6. What is a teaching statement and how do write one.
7. What sould you expect in the interview process.