Design and Innovation
Monday, August 20, 2018 - Friday, August 24, 2018
The New York Academy of Sciences, 7 World Trade Center, 250 Greenwich St Fl 40, New York, USA
The New York Academy of Sciences
Design and Innovation
The New York Academy of Sciences is proud to offer the Design and Innovation STEM Program from August 20-24, 2018. Over the course of five days, students in 5th-8th grades will work alongside scientists from some of New York City’s leading institutions in a range of hands-on activities to expand their skills in multiple STEM areas.
- Using the Innovation Challenge model, where students will identify a real-world topic they are passionate about and work to come up with creative solutions.
- Learning about the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals and how they apply in NYC
- Opportunities to meet STEM professionals working in the field
- Exploring the fun in STEM!
Over the course of this five-day STEM Program, students will gain:
- Leadership skills through STEM design challenges
- Communication techniques that allow them to share STEM concepts with their peers
- Scientific collaboration and engineering skills
- Teamwork and problem-solving experience
Students will receive a New York Academy of Sciences certificate of completion at the end of the program.
Introduction to Design: Students will experience the multiple steps to design-thinking and how to address a major challenges through creativity.
Leadership and Teamwork: Students will learn the skills sets for leadership and how to be a good leader in the STEM world, with exposure to real world examples of teenagers who are STEM leaders. Students will practice their skills through a variety of hands-on challenges.
Field Trips: Students will visit a tech company and design studio to learn about how they use design-thinking in the real world. On days when students are not on field trips there will be recreational time outdoors in nearby Rockefeller Park.
Pricing: The Design and Innovation STEM Program is $600. Lunch and snacks are included in the program cost.
Registration is now open for this program. Please click the REGISTER button below.