Gain That Career Edge
Leadership skills are essential for success, but the development of these skills are often unknowingly neglected by Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) graduate and undergraduate students. This is especially true of students from underrepresented minority groups including Hispanic/Latinx, African American/Black, and Native American/Pacific Islander. To help fill this leadership gap, Lockheed Martin is sponsoring a special session of the New York Academy of Sciences Science Alliance Leadership Training (SALT) program in Washington D.C. All STEM graduate students are eligible to apply, especially students from traditionally underrepresented minority groups.
This 4-day program is designed to provide exceptional students in the STEM fields with the opportunity to immerse themselves in understanding leadership concepts that will allow them to effectively advocate for their career. The program will feature small group exercises, a leadership development plan, community building among participants, networking opportunities with representatives from Lockheed Martin, and a site visit to a Lockheed Martin Facility.
- Applicants must be actively engaged in STEM research. Students from the following fields are strongly encourage to apply:
- Software Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Data Sciences
- Computer Sciences
- Applicants must be pursuing a PhD or MS in a STEM related field.
- Applicants from underrepresented minority groups (Hispanic/Latinx, African American/Black, and Native American/Pacific Islander) are strongly encouraged to apply.
The criteria by which the application materials will be evaluated are:
- Leadership potential
- Academic status
- Presentation of requested support documents
Download the application guidelines.
Overall Program Goals
- Build foundational leadership skills in early career scientists to empower them to assume leadership roles through their professional career.
- Establish and develop a strong and diverse network of highly effective future STEM leaders.
- Develop an individualized professional plan for each student to achieve his/her career goals with action steps and a timeline.
- Connect participants to Lockheed Martin opportunities.
- Personalized Leadership Development Plan.
- Digital Badge (Certificate of Participation) that can be displayed on LinkedIn.
- Communications: Effective and assertive communication techniques, how to influence others, giving and receiving feedback, and understanding your learning style.
- Working with People: Empathy, networking, team and power dynamics, managing up, and team-building.
- Conflict Management and Emotional Intelligence: Conflict resolution, diverse teams, and implicit bias.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.