STEM Camp: Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality
Monday, August 20, 2018 - Friday, August 24, 2018
The New York Academy of Sciences, 7 World Trade Center, 250 Greenwich St Fl 40, New York, USA
The New York Academy of Sciences
VR and AR
The New York Academy of Sciences is proud to offer STEM Camp from August 20-24, 2018. Over the course of five days, students in 5th-8th grades will work alongside scientists from some of New York City’s leading institutions in a range of hands-on activities to expand their skills in multiple STEM areas.
- Learning how Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality are being used for entertainment purposes and for real world STEM research
- Solve engineering challenges by working with their peers to create solutions
- Opportunities to meet STEM professionals working in the field
- Exploring the fun in STEM!
Over the course of this five-day Science Camp, students will gain:
- Leadership skills through STEM design challenges
- Communication techniques that allow them to share STEM concepts with their peers
- Scientific collaboration and engineering skills
- Teamwork and problem-solving experience
Students will receive a certificate of completion at the end of the program.
Introduction to VR and AR: With Augmented Reality (AR) students will be able to digitally manipulate or augment, a version of reality and replace it with a virtual one, enabling them to use the power of technology to present a modified view of reality.
Through the use of virtual reality (VR) students will participate in “Virtual Field trips” to different planets, and various locations around the world and utilize their problem solving skills in order to solve various environmental challenges.
Leadership and Teamwork: Students will learn the skills sets for leadership and how to be a good leader in the STEM world, with exposure to real world examples of teenagers who are STEM leaders. Students will practice their skills through a variety of hands-on challenges.
Field Trips: Students will visit a lab space that uses VR/AR to prepare the next generation of researchers learn in their field more effectively. On days when students are not on field trips there will be recreational time outdoors in nearby Rockefeller Park.
Registration is not yet open for this Camp. To be notified when registration opens, please click on the SUBSCRIBE button above.