Cultural Awareness Workshop: Navigating Diversity in the Lab
Tuesday, May 7, 2019, 8:30 AM - 3:00 PM EDT
The New York Academy of Sciences, 7 World Trade Center, 250 Greenwich St Fl 40, New York
The New York Academy of Sciences
The field of science is fortunate to include a highly-educated community of professionals who hail from all over the world. However, cultural differences may present challenges in the workplace, when scientists from a variety of countries must work together—perhaps unaware of certain cultural sensitivities.
In order for graduate students and early career professionals to succeed, it is imperative to have greater cultural awareness and know how to tailor your workplace behavior appropriately. These skills lay the foundation for you to become a leader within your organization.
This one-day interactive workshop will foster greater awareness of other cultures and enhance your communication skills so you can bridge any gaps of understanding and collaborate effectively. Using real-life examples, the workshop will teach you to:
- Understand differences in cultural communication styles and expectations in work relationships
- Identify hidden assumptions you may have about others when you’re working within a diverse environment
- Improve your emotional quotient (a.k.a. “EQ”) to prevent yourself from making an inadvertent workplace misstep
- Practice how to communicate cross-culturally
- Understand how the diversity of cultural backgrounds can promote the development of unique innovations
Hart & Chin
May 07, 2019