Online Course: Cybersecurity Certificate for STEM Students and Professionals
Friday, September 4, 2020, 10:00 AM - Monday, October 19, 2020, 11:59 PM EDT
The New York Academy of Sciences
If you’re like many STEM students and STEM professionals, the COVID-19 pandemic has forced you to work remotely. As you’ve navigated this shift, you may not have thought much about how vulnerable this has made you to cyberthreats.
Biotech and pharma companies are among the biggest targets for cybercriminals—since mid-March, 18 million phishing and malware email attacks have been reported daily, targeting international health care organizations and public health agencies in an attempt to access COVID vaccine research, patient files, etc. (Rodrigo, 2020).
This isn’t just an issue for IT to worry about.
Without proper awareness of cybersecurity, you could inadvertently put your research and/or your organization’s Intellectual Property in jeopardy.
Level up your knowledge by taking this 7-week course.
- This is a condensed version of a full semester course given at Centennial College in Toronto.
•The course is asynchronous; course modules and additional work can be completed weekly according to your schedule, no matter where you are in the world. All you need is an internet connection!
- Instructors are available to answer questions during designated office hours.
- You can expect to spend 6-8 hours per week on each module. This includes viewing the course modules plus additional assigned work.
Week 1: Cybersecurity and the Internet
Week 2: Cybercrime: Threats and Consequences for Organizations
Week 3: Cybercrime: Regional and International Legislation
Week 4: Test and case studies
Week 5: Cybersecurity Governance Essentials
Week 6: Cybersecurity Ethics
Week 7: Final test and case studies
Additional Benefits to Completing This Course:
- You’ll receive a certificate of completion from our partner Centennial College, as well as a digital badge from Centennial College and xahive, which you can post on your LinkedIn profile.
- You’ll meet U.S., Canadian, and U.K./European cybersecurity training requirements.
- You’ll be more competitive in the job market—cybersecurity governance is one of the fastest growing job sectors, with 3.5 million open positions around the world.
- You can earn credits towards a CPHIMS certification (Certified Professional in Healthcare Information and Management Systems)—our partner Centennial College is an approved HIMSS education partner.
- Your organization may qualify for cybersecurity insurance discounts through major cybersecurity insurance providers
Participants that have registered for Cybersecurity and Governance who notify firstname.lastname@example.org at least 7 days before a session start date may receive a full credit towards a future program, or a refund of their tuition less a $15 administrative service charge per course. Registrants failing to attend a program for which they are registered, as well as those who notify email@example.com of their cancellation less than 7 days of the program start, will be assessed the full program fee. Please note that at any time before a course closes, a colleague can be substituted in the registrant's place.
Chair, Distance and Online Learning, Centenial College