JOB TITLE: Administrative Assistant
REPORTS TO: Executive Assistant to CEO (Lead Admin)
The Administrative Assistant will provide administrative support cross-departmentally to the organization’s senior leaders, primarily the Chief Scientific Officer and Senior Vice President, Advancement. The Administrative Assistant will also provide project management support to leaders. Their work will be focused on core administrative functions including heavy calendar management, monthly expense reporting, coordinating and booking travel, preparing for and attending meetings onsite with various internal and external stakeholders, take minutes and follow up on action items, as well as work closely with senior management team on special projects. The Administrative Assistant will be required to exercise good judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills, and the ability to maintain a realistic balance among multiple priorities.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for internal and external constituencies on all matters pertaining to the CSO and the SVP of Advancement, including those of a highly confidential or critical nature.
- Strategically manage daily calendars of both the CSO and SVP of Advancement in relation to virtual and in-person meetings, conference calls, speaking engagements, and events across locations and time zones; ensure his/her time is allocated to the highest priorities; ensure schedule is followed and respected; keep him/her well informed of upcoming commitments and responsibilities, following up appropriately.
- Arrange complex and detailed domestic and international travel itineraries and agendas. Secure visas, book hotels, coordinate local transportation, and handle other travel-related logistics. Prepare and submit monthly expense reports.
- Communicate directly, and on behalf of the CSO and SVP of Advancement, with Board members, donors, collaborators, and others.
- Schedule and attend select meetings; assist in the preparation and distribution of meeting agendas and materials; take notes, capture action items, disseminate meeting minutes, and ensure follow through.
- Assist with on-site and off-site staff meetings and events (reserve venues, coordinate outside attendees, handle meeting set-up, catering and A/V services). Engage the assistance of the Academy’s Shared Services teams (meeting & event operations, AV services, etc.) where appropriate.
- Assist in the creation and design of complex documents, reports, and Word, Excel, and PowerPoint presentations; collecting and preparing information for meetings with staff and outside parties; composing and preparing correspondence.
- Follow up on contacts made by the CSO and SVP, Advancement to support the cultivation of ongoing relationships; create and edit acknowledgement letters to donors and collaborators. Work with internal and external teams in coordinating outreach activities. Track donor relationship developments in Raisers Edge (e.g. adding contacts, creating accounts, updating notes).
- Perform other related duties as requested or responsibilities dictate.
This position does not supervise others.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- 1-3 years administrative experience with at least a year supporting Senior Leadership with calendar management and coordinating international travel and logistics. Ability to research, plan, and execute complicated domestic and international travel arrangements.
- Excellent organizational skills, verbal, and written communication skills. Highly detail oriented.
- Ability to work with a broad range of people including major donors, Board members, Academy staff, colleagues of the CSO and staff, and others
- Highly proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office (Outlook, OneDrive, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, Teams), virtual meeting platforms (e.g. Zoom, WebEx), project management tools (e.g. Asana), with aptitude to learn new software and systems. Experience with fundraising relationship management systems (e.g. Raisers Edge) and other data management tools (e.g. Google Analytics, Microsoft PowerBI), a plus.
- Ability to prioritize, manage, and complete a high volume of tasks and multiple projects with little or no guidance and a high degree of accuracy. Ability to react with appropriate levels of urgency to situations and events that require quick response or turnaround.
- High degree of judgment, flexibility, teamwork skills, and discretion required.
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
In addition, the Administrative Assistant may occasionally be asked to work outside of standard business hours (evening or weekends) depending on business needs.
This is a hybrid position, with in-office days scheduled based on meetings, events and business needs. Employees must be based in New York.
This is a largely sedentary role.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Salary: $60,000 annually. This is Full-time, non-exempt position.
In addition to salary, the Academy offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes affordable health insurance, retirement plan with matching employer contribution, personal & career development stipend as well as liberal paid time off policies.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must include a resume, cover letter and salary requirements.
The New York Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer, adhering to the laws which prohibit discrimination in the terms, conditions and privileges of employment. Academy policy expressly prohibits discrimination in employment because of any legally impermissible classification, including but not limited to actual or perceived race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.