JOB TITLE: Administrative Assistant
DEPARTMENT: Global STEM Alliance
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Learning
The Global STEM Alliance (GSA) is the Academy's ambitious education initiative dedicated to increasing the number and diversity of students pursuing STEM careers. With more than 250 partners—including government agencies, NGOs, academic institutions, and corporations—and reaching participants in over 100 countries, the GSA intends to reach 1 million students in 100 countries by 2030.
The Administrative Assistant provides direct support to both the CEO and the Vice President of Learning, as well as broad support to the GSA team. He or she is responsible for a wide range of projects to facilitate fundraising, business development, and program implementation, in an effort to scale and extend the work of the GSA.
- Provide administrative support to members of the GSA team, including proactively managing calendars, scheduling meetings, making travel arrangements, managing contracts and invoices, preparing expense reports, and preparing and editing documents and presentations
- Assist with planning a variety of complex meetings and special events, including managing logistics and overseeing production and distribution of materials
- Assume responsibility for special projects as needed, which may include conducting research, managing project schedules, and coordinating the work of internal and external stakeholders
- Prepare and manage confidential materials needed to plan visits, maintain databases, and report on donor activity and grants
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2 or more years of experience in an administrative support role
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent project management skills and attention to detail
- Facility with digital tools, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), meeting software (e.g., WebEx, Zoom), and online databases and management systems
- Ability to multi-task, problem solve, prioritize, and work both independently and collaboratively on a team
- This position requires a high level of professionalism, as well as the ability to handle confidential/proprietary information with discretion
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, etc. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some movement is required. Examples world be lifting files, opening filling cabinets and bending or standing as necessary.
The New York Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer, adhering to the laws which prohibit discrimination in the terms, conditions and privileges of employment. Academy policy expressly prohibits discrimination in employment because of any legally impermissible classification, including but not limited to actual or perceived race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Equal Opportunity and equal consideration will be afforded to all personnel actions involving applicants and employees, including (but not limited to) recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, job assignments, working conditions, rates of pay or other compensation, discipline, transfer and layoff, or termination.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must include a resume, cover letter and salary requirements.
We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package to both full-time and part-time staff that includes affordable health care insurance, tuition reimbursement, retirement plan, and liberal vacation time and holiday schedule.