REPORTS TO: Manager, Facilities & Services
Perform facilities and service setups and breakdowns for internal and external meetings, banquets, parties and functions; perform routine maintenance and cleaning where appropriate. Provide prompt, responsive support in mail, copy center services, and other business support functions.
- Assign tasks to facilities technicians to coordinate room set ups for internal and external functions. Make sure that the conference center is properly cleaned and reset after each event.
- Monitor the effectiveness of building maintenance and cleaning crews; reporting deficiencies to the Facilities Manager. Perform cleaning and maintenance tasks when necessary to augment evening cleaning and building maintenance staff.
- Operate mail and copy center equipment; deliver mail and packages on a timely basis to staff.
- Advise Facilities Manager or other appropriate Academy or building staff when unusual situations require assistance; maintain awareness of emergency call and maintenance operations procedures and act on such situations if other management is unavailable.
- Ensure that conference center and general office space is well maintained. Perform minor fixes such as replacing light bulbs, filling up gaps, patching up walls, painting, etc. Assist with office setups, workspace setup for new hires, hanging pictures and whiteboards, and general office upkeep.
- As one of the team of late night/off hours staff, follow security procedures for closing Academy premises
- Organize relief coverage for reception desk and operate switchboard when needed; Assist all other Academy personnel in lobby watch as part of Academy security program.
- Keep inventory of Academy supplies (paper supplies, envelopes, light bulbs, cleaning supplies, etc.
Assist Facilities Manager in supervising and training facilities staff. Take the lead when Facilities Manager is out of the office or unavailable.
- High school or equivalent.
- Three years + related business experience.
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am–5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted. Flexibility to shift hours to allow for events coverage when required including some evenings and weekends.*
Work Environment / Physical Demands
- Must be able to lift, push, pull, hold, and/or carry objects and equipment weighing 50+ lbs. on a frequent basis.
- Must be able to stand for up to 4 hours at a time on a frequent basis.
- Must be able to be able to stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl 20x to 50x daily.
- Must be able to use common tools to make minor maintenance repairs.
- Must be able to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
The New York Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer, adhering to the laws which prohibit discrimination in the terms, conditions and privileges of employment. Academy policy expressly prohibits discrimination in employment because of any legally impermissible classification, including but not limited to actual or perceived race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Equal Opportunity and equal consideration will be afforded to all personnel actions involving applicants and employees, including (but not limited to) recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, job assignments, working conditions, rates of pay or other compensation, discipline, transfer and layoff, or termination.
We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package to both full-time and part-time staff that includes affordable health care insurance, tuition reimbursement, retirement plan, and liberal vacation time and holiday schedule.
How to Apply
Applications must include a resume, cover letter and salary requirements.