REPORTS TO: Editor in Chief, Ann NY Acad Sci
Key elements include commissioning and editing manuscripts for the journal and managing the peer-review process for several manuscripts simultaneously. The successful candidate must be highly motivated, have excellent literary skills, be dynamic and outgoing, and a passion for concise, clear communication of written science.
- Take on independent projects leading to published Annals volumes, including inviting submissions, initial evaluation of manuscripts, overseeing peer the review process, and editing and copy editing of Word files and typeset proofs; attention to detail is essential; develop and maintain relationships with scientists to facilitate the acquisition and publication of papers in a wide range of fields and involving highly reputable scientists whose work has been reviewed well by their peers; attend key conferences and review key scientific journals.
- With the EIC, work closely with consulting editors series to ensure timely production of cutting-edge manuscripts; and assist on special projects such as supplements and/or bulk volume sales.
- Maintain manuscript intake logs, records, and files for projects in all stages of development and consideration ensuring adherence to regular production schedule of twenty-four Annals volumes/year (2 volumes/month).
- Assess manuscripts for proper English usage and grammar; flag concerns requiring closer editorial scrutiny before material enters editorial production stream. Collaborate with other Academy departments, including Marketing, Communications, and Conferences.
- Work with the EIC and to maintain Annals web pages.
As required, train new assistant scientific editors in all aspects of the editorial requirements and standards of Annals.
- Ph.D. in life sciences (biomedical sciences, molecular biology, and signal transduction are especially relevant) and postdoctoral experience required.
- Previous experience at professional STM journal publishing required, including management of peer review, online publishing processes, standards and protocols, and editorial processing and tracking systems.
- Excellent word processing and project management skills, strong interpersonal, and networking skills
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Willingness to travel 2-3 times per year to international science conferences.
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, etc. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some movement is required. Examples world be lifting files, opening filling cabinets and bending or standing as necessary.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must include a resume, cover letter and desired salary.