JOB TITLE: Budget Analyst
REPORTS TO: Executive Vice President & Chief Operating Officer
Work collaboratively across the Academy to ensure that budget activity is meeting Organizational goals and standards.
- Assist with managing and monitoring the Organization’s expense, capital and revenue budgets; daily management and control of the Organization’s expense budget including forecasting, research, and variances.
- Interact with internal stakeholders and Department heads to understand current budget initiatives and status, and support development of new project plans & initiatives.
- Evaluate a wide range of funding proposals, projects, or initiatives, in accordance with Organization-wide goals and financial capacity. Identify operational impacts resulting from new programs and initiatives.
- Work collaboratively across departments to analyze resource inter-dependencies and contribute to short and long range resource planning.
- Prepare technical budget documents and schedules, including surplus/ needs analysis, spending plans, analytical reports and briefings.
- Produce and distribute budget performance reports, analyzing differences between budget and actual performance.
- Assist with developing and refining procedures and tools to streamline expense budget planning and tracking. Assist with developing, implementing and tracking cost saving initiatives.
- Interact with senior leadership; offer guidance and recommendations on budget and related matters as necessary. Assist with special projects as required.
- A bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 2 years relevant work experience in budgetary planning, financial analysis, or related. Experience in budgeting or fiscal analysis expected.
- Power user of Microsoft Excel, Access, and other various financial management systems. Ability to work with a variety of software applications and experience analyzing large and complex data sets.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, strong interpersonal, analytic, quantitative and organizational skills.
- Ability to thrive in an extremely fluid environment with changing demands.
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, etc. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some movement is required. Examples world be lifting files, opening filling cabinets and bending or standing as necessary.
The New York Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer, adhering to the laws which prohibit discrimination in the terms, conditions and privileges of employment. Academy policy expressly prohibits discrimination in employment because of any legally impermissible classification, including but not limited to actual or perceived race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must include a resume, cover letter and desired salary to be considered.