REPORTS TO: Vice President, Communications
Reporting to the VP, communications, the Digital Content Manager is responsible for planning, creating, managing, and distributing high-quality digital content to support the mission and goals of The New York Academy of Sciences. This individual will work closely with other members of the communications team, and well as with colleagues in Marketing and across the organization, to develop and execute compelling content that engages and informs key audiences, including Academy members, the public, donors, partners, policymakers, and the media.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive content strategy that aligns with the Academy’s strategic goals and objectives.
- Plan, create, write, and manage a wide range of content including blog posts, articles, features, reports, videos, photo galleries, podcasts, and other materials that showcase the impact and breadth of the Academy’s work.
- Collaborate with program staff and external partners to identify and develop content that highlights the Academy’s thought leadership, programs, events, conferences, Awards, and Fellowships.
- Create and maintain operational processes, such as a content creation workflow, an editorial calendar, production workflow and analytics reporting.
- Collaborate with Web team to ensure that web content is up-to-date, accurate, compelling and in sync with broader organizational strategy.
- Review written content for brand continuity, tone of voice, and grammar across a variety of media (digital, print, email, and video).
- Collaborate with Marketing team members on social media strategy.
- Select and/or commission suitable and brand-consistent images and artwork to accompany website content, newsletter and social media, and work with the Academy’s web team to organize and archive all multimedia.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in communications, journalism or a scientific field is preferred.
- Experience in science writing or science communications is required.
- Experience working for a mission-driven organization is desirable.
- Three to five years of experience in an editorial and/or strategic communications role, with relevant experience in an academic, research, or nonprofit environment.
- Ability to tailor scientific content to different audiences who may have varying levels of expertise and knowledge.
- Experience with creating and managing content on behalf of C-suite members is highly desirable.
- The ideal candidate will have a deep skillset in communications strategy, project management, writing, editing, and the development of impactful audience-driven content with measurable results.
Related Skills & Other Requirements
- Must be attentive to detail and committed to accuracy for a discerning scientific audience.
- Must be very well organized, able to multitask and to field simultaneous requests from various team members and leadership, with rigorous attention to clear and timely communication.
- Must be able to set and meet fixed deadlines.
- Must be able to work easily and collaboratively with editorial, technical and leadership teams.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, demonstrating command of the highest standards of written and spoken English. Familiarity with AP style a plus.
- Familiarity with Asana, Cvent and other similar platforms.
- Flexibility to shift priorities as needed.
WORK SCHEDULE/ WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
Academy employees work on a hybrid schedule with in-office days scheduled by management. Employees must be based in New York.
This is a largely sedentary role.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Salary: $70,000- $75,000 Annually
This is Full-time, Exempt position. In addition to salary, the Academy offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes affordable health insurance, retirement plan with matching employer contribution, personal & career development stipend as well as liberal paid time off policies.
Additional Work Schedule/ Work Environment information: