JOB TITLE: Director, Business Development
DEPARTMENT: Global STEM Alliance
REPORTS TO: CEO, Global STEM Alliance
The Global STEM Alliance (GSA) is the Academy's ambitious education initiative dedicated to increasing the number and diversity of students pursuing STEM careers. With more than 250 partners—including government agencies, NGOs, academic institutions, and corporations—and reaching participants in over 100 countries, the GSA intends to reach 1 million students in 100 countries by 2030.
The Director of Business Development is responsible for developing and selling revenue-generating opportunities to help sustain the work of the GSA. The Director drives research and development of new revenue-generating products and services, devises and implements sales and marketing strategies for key GSA offerings, pursues strategic partnerships that serve to scale GSA products and programs, and serves as a member of the GSA leadership team.
- Lead development and implementation of sales strategies for existing fee-for-service offerings, including:
- STEM Certification: review and certification of third-party learning materials that align to the GSA STEM Education Framework
- STEM Programs: week-long enrichment programs for middle school students in the New York City area
- Launchpad Innovation Challenges: design competitions sponsored by corporations to drive creative solutions to technical, scientific, and social problems
- Build and refine revenue models for GSA products and services
- Develop and implement measurable sales and marketing strategies for GSA products and services
- Devise and implement new customer acquisition strategies and plans to increase GSA brand awareness
- Identify and support the creation of new products and services to drive significant revenue for the GSA
- Work with GSA product teams to support ongoing product evolution
- Establish and track key marketing and sales metrics
- Create and deliver sales pitches to client prospects and partners
- Present GSA products and services at external events and industry conferences
- Manage relationships with funders and partner organizations
- Manage budgets and contracts
- Help drive GSA strategy in collaboration with GSA leadership
- Serve as a member of the Academy's Senior Staff, assuming additional responsibilities as needed, such as special task force assignments
May manage one or more direct reports
- Bachelor’s degree
- 7–10 years of relevant experience in business development, marketing, sales, or equivalent
- Experience devising and implementing new product launch strategies and campaigns
- Experience developing and managing marketing and sales processes
- Strong industry network and contacts
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task, problem solve, work creatively and independently, as well as function in a team environment
- Passionate advocate for and committed to the mission of the GSA
- Must be able to travel 10% of the time and have the ability to work internationally
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filling cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
The New York Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer, adhering to the laws which prohibit discrimination in the terms, conditions and privileges of employment. Academy policy expressly prohibits discrimination in employment because of any legally impermissible classification, including but not limited to actual or perceived race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Equal Opportunity and equal consideration will be afforded to all personnel actions involving applicants and employees, including (but not limited to) recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, job assignments, working conditions, rates of pay or other compensation, discipline, transfer and layoff, or termination.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must include a resume, cover letter and salary requirements.
We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package to both full-time and part-time staff that includes affordable health care insurance, tuition reimbursement, retirement plan, and liberal vacation time and holiday schedule.