JOB TITLE: Director, Education (In-person Programs)
DEPARTMENT: Global STEM Alliance
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Learning
The Director of Education leads the Academy's in-person mentoring and education programs, including the Afterschool STEM Mentoring Program and Scientist-in-Residence. These programs are designed to train graduate students, postdocs, and professionals in STEM disciplines to help bring STEM to life in classrooms and afterschool programs through New York City and the surrounding area.
In collaboration with other team members, the Director develops strategies to scale up and build upon these seminal programs. The Director works closely with other departments to support fundraising, business development, marketing, and membership. He or she also builds and manages relationships with academic, nonprofit, and corporate partners to support and extend the work of the Global STEM Alliance, the Academy's ambitious STEM education initiative dedicated to increasing the number and diversity of students pursuing STEM careers.
- Manage the development of in-person mentoring and education programming, including program content, mentor recruitment and training, and program evaluation
- Supervise staff members responsible for implementing in-person mentoring and education programs, including one or more direct reports
- Manage relationships with funders, government agencies, and universities
- Manage program budgets and contracts
- Oversee hiring and management of independent contractors and volunteer staff
- Generate reports as needed to provide clients with evaluation data and information about program progress
- Assist Development staff in grant writing and cultivating funder relationships as needed
- Serve as a spokesperson for the Academy by presenting at conferences and events, contributing to scholarly and/or news publications, and engaging with media outlets
- Help drive GSA strategy in collaboration with GSA leadership
- Serve as a member of the Academy's Senior Staff, assuming additional responsibilities as needed, such as special task force assignments
Supervise one or more staff members.
- 7–10 years of experience in the education sector, particularly as an educator, instructional designer, or program developer in a STEM field
- Passion for youth development, broadening opportunities to high-quality STEM education, and inspiring the next generation of STEM leaders, particularly those from underserved and underrepresented groups
- Master's degree (Doctorate preferred)
- Comfort with educational technology
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent project management skills
- Ability to multi-task, problem solve, work creatively and independently, as well as function in a team environment
- Must be able to travel 10% of the time and have the ability to work internationally
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am–5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
Work Environment / Physical Demands
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, etc. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some movement is required. Examples world be lifting files, opening filling cabinets and bending or standing as necessary.
The New York Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer, adhering to the laws which prohibit discrimination in the terms, conditions and privileges of employment. Academy policy expressly prohibits discrimination in employment because of any legally impermissible classification, including but not limited to actual or perceived race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Equal Opportunity and equal consideration will be afforded to all personnel actions involving applicants and employees, including (but not limited to) recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, job assignments, working conditions, rates of pay or other compensation, discipline, transfer and layoff, or termination.
We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package to both full-time and part-time staff that includes affordable health care insurance, tuition reimbursement, retirement plan, and liberal vacation time and holiday schedule.
How to Apply
Applications must include a resume, cover letter and salary requirements.