REPORTS TO: Chief Scientific Officer, Scientific Publications / Editor-in-Chief, Annals
Scope of Responsibilities
Work closely with the EIC, manage development, intake, and editorial evaluation of manuscripts, including managing standard peer review for all content and commissioning of new content. Coordinate additional editorial tasks as assigned by the EIC. This is a senior editorial and managerial position.
- Take on independent projects leading to published Annals volumes, including inviting submissions, initial evaluation of manuscripts, oversight of peer review process, and final editing and copyediting of Word files and typeset proofs. Attention to detail is essential.
- Assist EIC by working closely with consulting editors and editorial boards of eight high-profile commissioned annual reviews series (Addiction Reviews, Antimicrobial Therapeutics Reviews, The Year in Immunology, The Year in Evolutionary Biology, The Year in Ecology and Conservation Biology, The Year in Neurology and Psychiatry, The Year in Cognitive Neuroscience, and The Year in Diabetes and Obesity). Develop ideas and editorial board for additional reviews series.
- Assist EIC in continued development of the high-profile series MARROW-Ann NY Acad Sci, including evaluation and commissioning original research and review manuscripts in the basic areas of skeletal biology, endocrinology, and immunology, and in clinical/translational areas of regenerative biology, integrative physiology, hematopoietic malignancies, and aging.
- Develop and maintain relationships with scientists to facilitate the acquisition and publication of papers in a wide range of fields and involving highly reputable scientists whose work has been reviewed well by their peers; attend key conferences and review scientific journals. Contribute substantive ideas for possible Annals volumes.
- Work with programs and other publishing staff to ensure close communication regarding NYAS-sponsored conferences that will become Annals volumes, including coordination of schedules, promotion efforts, obtaining papers, and issues concerning sponsors, speakers, and scientific editors/organizers.
- Ensure Annals' staff maintains manuscript intake logs, records, and files for projects in all stages of development and consideration ensuring adherence to regular production schedule of 24 Annals issues/year.
- Assist Annals' staff in stylistic assessment of manuscripts received, flagging concerns requiring closer editorial scrutiny before material enters editorial production stream.
- Collaborate with other NYAS programs and departments as required, including marketing, communications, online publishing, and accounting.
- Oversee Annals' web pages.
PhD in life-sciences (biomedical sciences, molecular biology, and signal transduction are especially relevant) with postdoctoral experience. Prior experience in professional STM publishing is essential, including standard peer review, online publishing, standards and protocols, and editorial processing and tracking systems; excellent word processing and project management skills; strong interpersonal and networking skills; excellent oral and written communications skills; ability to multi-task, prioritize, and communicate effectively with internal and external constituencies. Basic knowledge of HTML and digital media technologies is a plus. Occasional travel to scientific conferences will be expected.
Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences is one of the oldest published scientific journals published in the United States, and among the top ten cited multidisciplinary scientific journals worldwide. Continuously published since 1824, Ann NY Acad Sci is the premier publication of the New York Academy of Sciences, offering commissioned reviews, perspectives, commentaries, and original research articles in several topical areas. Although primarily focused in biomedicine and biology, the scope of Ann NY Acad Sci extends into diverse fields such as psychology, anthropology, and philosophy. Edited in consultation with experts in their fields, Ann NY Acad Sci is rigorously peer reviewed and available worldwide.
Journal Citation Reports® Science Edition (Thomson Reuters, 2015) Impact Factor: 4.518
ISI Journal Citation Reports © Ranking 2015: 8/63 (Multidisciplinary Sciences)
How to Apply
Applications must include a resume, samples of scientific writing, cover letter, and salary requirements.