JOB TITLE: Membership Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Membership (Communications & Network Engagement)
REPORTS TO: Associate Director of Membership
The New York Academy of Sciences (NYAS) is an independent, not-for-profit organization committed to driving innovative solutions to society’s challenges by advancing scientific research, education and policy. Founded in 1817, NYAS has more than 20,000 members in 100+ countries, comprising one of the world's most elite networks of scientists, engineers and STEM professionals. The Academy is embarking on an ambitious effort to expand its membership, while bringing to life a new vision for “Third Century Membership”: a passionate, engaged community of experts, working on behalf of science and society.
Under the direction of the Associate Director of Membership, this individual will support the Membership Department’s efforts to acquire new members, improve overall membership retention, and drive member engagement across a series of Academy initiatives.
- Support the Membership Sales Manager in building and maintaining a robust pipeline of organizational member prospects, to include: conducting research to identify new leads, tracking progress of prospects through the pipeline, and ensuring that follow-up actions are completed on schedule.
- Work with Membership and Customer Service teams to ensure existing institutional Memberships are renewed on a timely basis, to include tracking which accounts are approaching renewal, initiating follow-up messages and prompts, and ensuring that individual memberships are created promptly and accurately.
- Work with the Membership, Customer Service, and Program teams to ensure that participant engagement in various Academy initiatives is tracked and uploaded to the Academy’s database. These initiatives include, but are not limited to: the Academy’s STEM mentoring programs, social media ambassador program, and awards programs.
- Work with Membership Team to manage NYAS relationships with organizational members, and to ensure that membership-related inquiries are answered on a timely basis
- Monitor the quality and timeliness of key Membership-related processes, including new member onboarding, renewals, and early engagement messages, to identify opportunities for improvement
- Responsible for maintaining and updating Membership webpages on nyas.org, using Umbraco, the Academy’s intuitive content management system platform.
- Learn and manage the reporting functions of the Academy’s enterprise-wide customer service database, Association Anywhere
- Learn and manage basic reporting functions of the Academy’s business intelligence platform, BusinessObjects XI (BOXI)
- Undergraduate degree required.
- Two+ years of experience in one or more of the following areas: B2B sales, customer relationship management, project management, business reporting & tracking, or membership acquisition and servicing.
- Supreme organizational skills and attention to detail, including proven track record of excellent performance in meeting targets and objectives.
- Ability to build strong relationships with colleagues, prospects and existing customers
- Excellent communication, writing, and project management skills required.
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Ability to multi-task, coordinate simultaneous projects, and “hit the ground running” in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with email service providers (e.g. MailChimp or similar), association management software (e.g. Association Anywhere), or customer relationship management platforms (e.g. Salesforce) a plus, but not required.
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
Work Environment / Physical Demands
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, etc. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some movement is required. Examples would be lifting files, opening filling cabinets and bending or standing as necessary.
The New York Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer, adhering to the laws which prohibit discrimination in the terms, conditions and privileges of employment. Academy policy expressly prohibits discrimination in employment because of any legally impermissible classification, including but not limited to actual or perceived race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Equal Opportunity and equal consideration will be afforded to all personnel actions involving applicants and employees, including (but not limited to) recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, job assignments, working conditions, rates of pay or other compensation, discipline, transfer and layoff, or termination.
How to Apply
Applications must include a resume, cover letter and salary requirements.
We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package to both full-time and part-time staff that includes affordable health care insurance, tuition reimbursement, retirement plan, and liberal vacation time and holiday schedule.