REPORTS TO: Senior Vice President, Scientific Programs & Awards
Awards administered by the Academy identify and encourage promising young scientists early in their careers, when they need it the most, and recognize eminent scientists for their impactful contributions to science, medicine, and technology, including human health. The Blavatnik Awards for Young Scientists recognize early-career researchers who have made groundbreaking advances in Life Sciences, Physical Sciences & Engineering, and Chemical Sciences. The Innovators in Science Award celebrates transformative research conducted by promising early-career scientists and outstanding senior scientists across the globe in Neuroscience, Gastroenterology, Regenerative Medicine, and Oncology. A new program, the Tata Transformation Prize, recognizes and awards innovative researchers in India for translational discoveries in food security, sustainability, and healthcare.
For more information about the Academy’s Award Programs please visit https://www.nyas.org/awards/all-awards/
The Program Manager will engage in varied activities in support of the Academy’s award programs, including establishing and launching new award cycles, helping to raise award awareness among global audiences, assessing a broad range of nominations in your subject area, recruiting expert judges, explaining the honorees’ work to broad audiences through a variety of multimedia and social media platforms, designing scientific symposia to showcase honoree research, and maintaining a network of previous honorees that participate in annual symposia, awards ceremonies, and other events.
In this role, you will work with great scientists, be exposed to some of the most outstanding science in the world, and participate in driving the next generation of scientific innovation.
- Work with the Senior Leadership to identify, select, and establish ongoing relationships with an international cadre of judges, Scientific Advisory Council members, nominators, nominating institutions, and affiliated partners.
- Review nominations in broad disciplinary areas related to or outside of your own research; evaluating each application according to rigorous quantitative and qualitative metrics.
- Serve as primary point of contact for judges in your topic area and programs; facilitate nominee/applicant evaluation and honoree selection by juries of expert scientists, conducted both online and in-person.
- Prepare multimedia materials for broad audiences that explain the impact of the honorees’ complex scientific research.
- Conceptualize and develop scientific programming for international and domestic symposia that showcase honoree research for scientific and lay audiences.
- Work with the Senior Leadership, other team members, Academy's operations team, affiliated partners, and other vendors as needed to develop and execute domestic and international award ceremonies and other program events.
- Collaborate across Academy departments to identify potential opportunities for ongoing honoree engagement in additional Academy initiatives and publications.
- Other duties as needed.
DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop an understanding of the Academy, its mission, strategy, and programs.
- Serve as an ambassador for the Awards program portfolio, and the Academy as a whole, through public inquiries and networking opportunities.
- Keep abreast of scientific advances relevant to program subject areas.
- Facilitate judging processes in your topic areas, including the rationale applied to all stages of honoree selection and the recruitment of judges, ensuring the highest ethical standards are applied to all aspects of the nominations and judging process.
- Prepare and review multimedia materials that explain the complex scientific concepts and impact of the honorees’ award-winning research to broad audiences across various platforms, including: program websites, social media platforms, brochures, magazine articles, and press releases, as well as in short films, scripted speeches, and slide presentations showcased at awards ceremonies, symposia, and related events.
- Work with Awards team, external key opinion leaders, and program sponsors to develop content and program materials for symposia that showcase honorees; moderate scientific sessions and panel discussions as required.
- Work with the Academy’s marketing team to identify relevant outlets for awards and event promotion.
- Track the major scientific and career milestones achieved by honorees and help to promote them and their work through our social media channels and other outlets as appropriate.
- Work with the Senior Leadership, program administration partners, and sponsors to manage compliance, Sunshine Act, fiscal, and other reporting requirements.
- Work with Senior Leadership, other team members, and sponsors to continuously evaluate and strive to improve the awards processes and implementation.
- Author grants and sponsorship proposals for program support from government agencies, private companies, medical education, foundations, and individuals.
- Review applications and select individuals for Poster Presentations, Travel Fellowships, and Poster Prizes.
- Write and review program and post-conference reports for supporters.
- Provide general support and other duties as assigned by the Leadership.
- PhD required in an appropriate subject area of life sciences, chemical sciences, or physical sciences & engineering.
- Professional experience outside of academic research. This may include activities pursued in parallel to a research career, for example outreach activities or committee service, or more formal professional experience working in scientific publishing, non-profit, etc.
- Post-doctoral or related experience in academia, government, or industrial research, and/or science publishing a plus.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Experience, ability, and comfort in dealing with complex scientific information beyond own area of expertise.
- Experience with grant writing and program management a plus.
- Experience in global academic ecosystems outside of the US a plus.
- Ability to work with multiple teams across departments and to manage multiple parallel projects with tight deadlines.
- Desire to work in a team environment.
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
Academy employees work a hybrid schedule with in-office days coordinated by their Supervisor based on business need.
Employees must be based in New York.
This is a largely sedentary role.
Travel: Some domestic and/or international travel (5%) may be required, most likely to the United Kingdom, Israel, Japan, India, and/or Europe.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Salary: $75,000 annually. This is Full-time, exempt position.
In addition to salary, the Academy offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes affordable health insurance, retirement plan with matching employer contribution, personal & career development stipend as well as liberal paid time off policies.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must include a resume and cover letter.