JOB TITLE: Program Manager, Life Sciences, Blavatnik Awards
DEPARTMENT: Blavatnik Awards
REPORTS TO: Director, Blavatnik Awards
Established in 2007 by the Blavatnik Family Foundation, and administered by the New York Academy of Sciences, the Blavatnik Awards for Young Scientists recognize early-career researchers under the age of 42 who have made groundbreaking advances in Life Sciences, Physical Sciences & Engineering, and Chemistry.
The program consists of four Awards competitions: the Blavatnik Regional Awards, which recognizes post-doctoral researchers in the tri-state region; the Blavatnik National Awards, which, since 2014, has recognized faculty-rank researchers across the United States; and two international programs in the United Kingdom and Israel, which since 2017 have also recognized faculty-rank researchers in those countries.
Laureates, Winners and Finalists are conferred at annual Awards ceremonies, and the entire Blavatnik Awards honoree community is brought together to network, exchange ideas and form collaborations at our annual scientific symposium at the New York Academy of Sciences’ conference center every July.
For more information about the Awards, please visit www.blavatnikawards.org.
We are seeking a talented scientist in the Life Sciences to join the Blavatnik Awards team as a Program Manager for the Blavatnik National and Blavatnik Regional Awards.
The Program Manager will be responsible for and participate in multiple phases of the awards process, as well as partner with the Director in the stewardship of the entire awards process.
- Working with the Director, choose and recruit judges based on their expertise and standing, in line with the subject expertise needs of the awards nominees in any given year.
- Conduct a thorough assessment and evaluation of all nominations to the respective awards, and implement an appropriate process to screen and rank them.
- Work with the communications manager to help interpret complex scientific information about our honorees or other stakeholders in a more easily digestible way for broader audiences.
- During the nominations period, work with the program coordinator to respond in a timely manner to queries and concerns from nominators and nominees.
- Work with the CSO, Director and rest of the team to develop and implement plans for a successful annual Blavatnik Science Symposium, including input of ideas for programming, contact with speakers and attendees, and involvement at the event as section or panel chairs when appropriate.
- Working with the Director, the Chief Scientific Officer, and other members of the Awards team, conduct ongoing identification and selection of judges and nominators.
- Review 200-300+ applications in broad disciplinary areas of expertise; evaluating each application according to a rigorous quantitative and qualitative evaluation form. Participate in group meetings to discuss selection process and ensure consistency across both subject areas and Blavatnik Award programs.
- Serve as primary point of contact for approximately 10 judges in the broad disciplinary area of expertise for both National and Regional awards. Assist with the planning and execution of both the National and Regional jury meetings.
- Help to prepare materials to explain the Laureates’ work to a broad audience on the website, in press releases, and in presentations at awards ceremonies.
- Participate in the planning and execution of the annual Blavatnik Science Symposium at The New York Academy of Sciences.
- Work with the Academy's operations team and other vendors as needed to develop and execute the awards ceremonies and other program events, including helping with the preparation of video collateral on the Blavatnik Regional honorees for the Academy’s annual gala.
- Assist with copywriting and copyediting and review of general promotional materials.
- Stay up to date with the major scientific milestones achieved by Blavatnik honorees in your subject area and help to promote them and their work through our social media channels and other outlets as appropriate.
- Serve as one of many points of contact for public and media inquiries.
- Other duties as assigned.
- PhD required in a disciplinary areas within life sciences.
- One–three years postdoctoral research experience in an academic or industry setting, or equivalent experience in scientific publishing or another related setting.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Experience, ability, and comfort in dealing with complex scientific information beyond own primary field of study.
- Experience with grant writing and program management a plus.
- Ability to work with multiple teams across departments and to manage multiple parallel projects with tight deadlines.
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, etc. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some movement is required. Examples world be lifting files, opening filling cabinets and bending or standing as necessary.
The New York Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer, adhering to the laws which prohibit discrimination in the terms, conditions and privileges of employment. Academy policy expressly prohibits discrimination in employment because of any legally impermissible classification, including but not limited to actual or perceived race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Equal Opportunity and equal consideration will be afforded to all personnel actions involving applicants and employees, including (but not limited to) recruiting and hiring, selection for training, promotion, job assignments, working conditions, rates of pay or other compensation, discipline, transfer and layoff, or termination.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must include resume, cover letter and salary requirements.
We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package to both full-time and part-time staff that includes affordable health care insurance, tuition reimbursement, retirement plan, and liberal vacation time and holiday schedule.