DEPARTMENT: Global STEM Alliance
REPORTS TO: Vice President, STEM Talent Programs
The Associate Director, Science Alliance provides strategic and operational oversight of programs and services that serve the career advancement related needs of early career scientists (undergraduates, graduate students, and post-docs). The Associate Director will also oversee the conceptualization, development, and implementation of events and online resources that provide networking, and educational opportunities for young scientists. The Associate Director, Science Alliance will work closely with other departments at the Academy to help raise support and publicize events and programs; build and manage existing relationships with academic partners and stakeholders. The ideal candidate will combine social impact skills with entrepreneurial skills to design excellent in person and digital programming for the Academy’s young scientist population while driving revenue through fruitful corporate and university partnerships.
- Implement and promote programs and events on career issues for undergraduate students, grad students and postdocs, taking advantage of the Academy’s unique resource as an institution at the intersection of academia, business, and government, with its enormous convening and dissemination power.
- Work closely with the Academy programs to identify and promote mentoring opportunities among the Science Alliance membership.
- Design special events, and meet with relevant individuals and partners as necessary.
- Support the sales of the Corporate Membership Science Alliance Business model to ensure self-funded programming and drive revenue.
Events and Programming
- Provide opportunities for career advancement and networking locally, state-wide, nationally and internationally.
- Utilizing the existing Science Alliance Committee to liaise with faculty, administrators, students and postdocs at area universities, develop programs and resources with appropriate format and content that will be of value and interest to the Science Alliance community.
Publicize Science Alliance and Serve as Expert in the Field
- Serve as the public face of the Academy towards our early career members. This can include activities such as public speaking, participation in interviews, conferences, journal articles, career talks and panels, etc.
- Work with the Academy’s Marketing team to establish an annual marketing calendar for events and programs.
- Working with the Academy Marketing and Program Departments, develop strategies for outreach to the SA community.
- Working with the Academy’s Web and Marketing Team, develop digital content for the Science Alliance through the Academy website and other relevant channels.
- Working with the Development Staff, help in identifying prospective funders (foundations, agencies, corporate sponsors, etc.).
- Support the Membership Team in recruiting new universities, research institutions, and teaching hospitals to join Science Alliance.
- Prepare budget for SA activities and manage expenses.
- In collaboration with the Meeting & Event Operations Department, organize support and logistics for Science Alliance programs (room location, catering, A/V, etc.).
- Oversee Science Alliance-related activities, which include a portfolio of affiliated contractors.
Supervises one Program Assistant.
- PhD in the sciences with knowledge of career development with 1–2 year’s experience in program management.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task, work creatively and independently as well as function in a team environment.
- Must be available for periodic travel (up to 20%) and working during evenings and weekend events, as necessary.
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am–5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
Work Environment / Physical Demands
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
This is largely a sedentary role; however, some movement is required. Examples would be lifting files, open filling cabinets and bending or standing as necessary.
How to Apply
Applications must include a resume, cover letter and desired salary to be considered.