JOB TITLE: Program Manager, Physical Sciences, Sustainability & Engineering
DEPARTMENT: Physical Sciences, Sustainability & Engineering (PSSE)
REPORTS TO: Director, PSSE
Work with the Director of Physical Sciences, Sustainability & Engineering to design, develop, and execute the New York Academy of Sciences’ (the Academy) annual portfolio of symposia and workshops across the spectrum of physical sciences, sustainability and engineering. Work along with leading academic, industry and government scientists and experts from the international scientific, technical and sustainability communities to conceptualize, develop, and manage unique and cutting-edge symposia. Collaborate with a marketing team, development team, publishing team, and logistics teams to promote, fund, create unique web and print products, and execute the symposia, respectively.
- Manage the development and presentation of PSSE symposia, from conception through to completion. This includes program development, review and selection of invited speakers, poster presentations and talks based on submitted materials, and production of post-conference reports and educational dissemination materials.
- Work with the development team to identify opportunities to generate financial support for each symposium. Maintain relationships with our supporters and cultivate new relationships within the community.
- Support the submission by the development team of content-driven grant proposals to relevant foundations, academic institutions, corporations, government agencies, and other potential supporters.
- Engage the Academy’s PhD physicists and chemists to consult on conference program topics and identify potential organizing committee members and speakers.
- Assist the Marketing Department in creating a marketing plan(s) for program promotion. Draft scientific copy for marketing collateral.
- Work closely with Academy staff across multiple departments to ensure efficient coordination of conference logistics, speaker travel and accommodation, marketing, website, dissemination, and publicity. Track progress of conference against milestones and ensure timely escalation of any issues.
- Track current trends in physical sciences, sustainability, and technology in order to ensure Academy symposia are timely, unique, and of high impact.
- Nurture close ties with a network of leading organizations, researchers, and institutions in academia, government, and industry.
- Identify and recruit leading experts as conference organizers, collaborating with them to develop outcome-oriented and high-impact programming focused on key research questions and critical issues.
- Work with the Director to develop and adhere to conference budgets. Discuss financial obligations and parameters with partners and supporters.
- Liaise with the publishing staff to ensure timely electronic and/or print dissemination of conference proceedings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- PhD in physical sciences, computer science or engineering with significant subsequent experience in an academic research, industry, scientific publishing, or related setting. Preference given to candidates with expertise in computer science and/or data science and related topics.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills. Experience, ability, and comfort in dealing with complex scientific and technical information beyond own area of expertise.
- Experience with grant writing and program management a plus.
- Ability to work with multiple teams across departments and to manage multiple parallel projects with tight deadlines.
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, etc. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some movement is required. Examples world be lifting files, opening filling cabinets and bending or standing as necessary.
The New York Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer, adhering to the laws which prohibit discrimination in the terms, conditions and privileges of employment. Academy policy expressly prohibits discrimination in employment because of any legally impermissible classification, including but not limited to actual or perceived race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must include a resume, cover letter and salary to be considered.