REPORTS TO: SVP, Education
The New York Academy of Sciences seeks an experienced adult learning and public programming specialist to lead its Professional learning and Fellowship programs. Reporting to the Senior Vice President for Education, the Program Manager is responsible for developing and implementing programs that impact NYAS’s communities of scientists, with a focus on trainees, professionals, educators and other adult learners. The position includes managing partnerships and community building with NYAS institutional and external partners including universities and sponsoring institutions across sectors and disciplines. The Program Manager will work collaboratively with NYAS education and science departments, administration and development, and draw upon the resources of NYAS to maximize the impact of the programs on NYAS local, national and international communities and members. Special emphasis is sought in expanding and building robust Diversity, Equity and Inclusion programming and online, on-demand and virtual learning opportunities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES (OVERALL SCOPE OF WORK):
- Generate and implement the annual plan for professional learning and fellowship programs, including outreach, impact and revenue goals.
- Develop strategic plan with SVP of Education to lead impact-focused expansion of programs, with a focus on expanding and marketing NYAS online and on-demand offerings.
- Develop and design program content, drawing upon the international NYAS network, responsive to supporting scientists’ career pathways and showcasing critical issues in the public understanding of science.
- Direct and implement professional development programs aligned to NYAS’ global leadership in supporting young scientists. Manage professional development for NYAS’ growing Fellowship program and develop non-scientific professional development for all adults.
- Maintain and initiate communications and collaborations with NYAS program committee members and staff in order to leverage and maximize NYAS assets and resources for program areas.
- Effectively represent and market NYAS programs in external presentations and partnerships.
ANNUAL AND DAY-TO-DAY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan and implement programming for constituents listed above
- Create and manage annual budget for programs;
- Collaborate with Development Department to identify funding prospects and generate effective approaches;
- Manage outside contractors as needed;
- Organize and support networking and community-building opportunities for program participants;
- Work with IT and other departments to build out the infrastructure to host, track and provide appropriate credit for activities
- Work closely with marketing and communications to effectively market programs to active participants, program and fellowship alumni, partner institutions and the public;
- Create new partnerships to generate expanded local, national and global online, on-demand and virtual audiences;
- In collaboration with the Meeting & Event Operations Department, organize support and logistics for Science Alliance programs (room location, catering, A/V, etc.);
- Work closely with the Membership Department to leverage events, fellowships and programs to support members.
- Support K-12 Education programs as they recruit and support mentors
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in a STEM field.
- 3-5 years of professional experience designing and delivering professional learning programs and fellowships.
- Operational knowledge of and experience in building online, on-demand and virtual learning programs.
- Experience working with professional scientists, faculty and educators at all levels of careers.
- Demonstrated ability to generate and implement innovative programming with measurable impact
- Ability to manage projects across multiple stakeholders and partners.
- Strong project management skills and demonstrated ability to coordinate logistics
- Strong communication skills with experience working across multiple teams
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in program design and delivery, recruitment and retention of staff and partnerships, and in cultural approaches to work/life.
WORK SCHEDULE AND ENVIRONMENT:
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
This position is eligible for hybrid scheduling with in-office days scheduled based on business needs and supervisory preferences.
This is a largely sedentary role.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Salary: $75,000 annually
This is Full-time, Exempt position.
In addition to salary, the Academy offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes affordable health insurance, retirement plan with matching employer contribution, personal & career development stipend as well as liberal paid time off policies.