DEPARTMENT: Scientific Programs
REPORTS TO: Director, Scientific Programs
The Program Manager, Scientific Programs, will be responsible for planning and executing a portfolio of 10-12 scientific symposia, workshops, and/or programming for the public covering life sciences, biomedicine, and physical sciences and engineering. You will work closely with our Marketing, Development, Meeting Operations, and Publications departments to promote, fund, execute, and create enduring dissemination materials.
- Manage the development and presentation of scientific symposia, from conception to completion. This includes scientific program development, review and selection of poster presentations, short-talks, and travel fellowship applications based on submitted materials, production of post-conference reports and educational dissemination materials, and serving as the primary symposium host/moderator in virtual and in-person environments.
- Work with the Director and Development team to identify sponsorship opportunities and generate financial support for each symposium. Maintain relationships with our supporters and cultivate new relationships within the scientific community.
- Write and submit content-driven grant proposals to relevant foundations, academic institutions, corporations, government agencies, and other potential supporters.
- Assist the Marketing Department in creating a marketing plan(s) for program promotion. Draft scientific copy for marketing collateral.
- Work closely with Academy staff across multiple departments to ensure efficient coordination of conference logistics, speaker travel and accommodation, marketing, website, dissemination, and publicity. Track milestones and project timelines.
- Stay up-to-date with current trends in science and technology in order to ensure NYAS symposia are timely, unique, and of high impact.
- Nurture close ties with a network of leading organizations, researchers, and institutions in academia, government, and industry.
- Identify and recruit key opinion leaders, collaborating with them to develop outcome-oriented and high-impact programming focused on key scientific questions and critical issues.
- Work with the Director to develop and adhere to conference budgets. Discuss financial obligations and parameters with partners and supporters.
- Monitor and ensure Academy conferences are aligned with ACCME guidelines.
- Liaise with the publishing and communications staff to ensure timely electronic and/or print dissemination of conference proceedings.
- Remain aware of other activities at the Academy, interacting with other teams and providing insight and support as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- PhD in a scientific discipline, with 1–3 years postdoctoral research experience in an academic setting for Program Manager; 3-5 years experience post-graduate for Senior Program Manager. Additional experience in industry, scientific publishing, non-profit, or related setting is desirable. Experience with grant writing, program management, or other leadership roles outside of laboratory research are also desired.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Experience, ability, and comfort in dealing with complex scientific information beyond primary area of expertise. Ability to communicate professionally with a range of stakeholders.
- Experience with grant writing and program management preferred.
- Ability to work with multiple teams across departments and to be highly organized in managing multiple parallel projects with tight deadlines.
- Meticulous attention to detail, while having a big-picture perspective on tasks and projects.
WORK SCHEDULE/ WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
Academy employees work on a hybrid schedule with in-office days scheduled by management. Employees must be based in New York.
This is a largely sedentary role.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
This is a Full-time, Exempt position.
In addition to salary, the Academy offers a comprehensive benefits package, which includes affordable health insurance, a retirement plan with matching employee contributions, a personal & career development stipend as well as liberal paid time off policies.
Additional Work Schedule/ Work Environment information: