JOB TITLE: Senior Scientific Editor, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences
REPORTS TO: Editor in Chief, Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences
SCOPE OF Journal and position: Work at a senior, independent level as a member of the editorial team to maintain the growing impact and international reputation of Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, a rigorously peer-reviewed hybrid journal available in over 100 countries and ranked among the top multi-disciplinary journals worldwide.
2020 Impact factor: 5.691
5-year Impact factor: 5.167
2020 Journal Citation Reports (Clarivate Analytics):13/73 (Multidisciplinary Sciences)
- Develop and maintain relationships with leading scientists to facilitate the acquisition and publication of manuscripts on a wide range of topics.
- Invite submissions, triage submitted manuscripts, oversee peer review, and edit and copyedit manuscripts. Attention to detail is essential.
- Research and analyze comparative data to facilitate optimal editorial growth, content development, and journal impact strategies.
- Collaborate with other NYAS programs and departments as required, including marketing, communications, online publishing, and accounting
- Must have a Ph.D. and postdoctoral experience (in any area of biological sciences).
- At least 5-years’ experience with all editorial responsivities required for publication of an international scientific journal, including networking with scientists and other players in the international scientific community.
- Be a strongly collaborative team worker, comfortable with co-ownership of shared goals and with a high level of personal and professional accountability.
- A track record of creating, implementing, and improving journal strategy and development plans.
- A thorough understanding of Open Access publishing and journal development.
- Very good knowledge of all aspects of publishing ethics, procedures, and practice.
- Excellent strategic thinking and analytical skills.
- Outstanding communication skills in English, written and spoken.
- Must have strong working knowledge of PubMed/MEDLINE, PMC, Web of Science, Scopus, and ScholarOne (or similar online manuscript system).
WORK SCHEDULE & ENVIRONMENT:
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
Academy employees will be offered an option to work remotely, however employees must be based in New York.
This is a largely sedentary role.
The New York Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer, adhering to the laws which prohibit discrimination in the terms, conditions and privileges of employment. Academy policy expressly prohibits discrimination in employment because of any legally impermissible classification, including but not limited to actual or perceived race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
The salary range for this role is $80,000- $90,000 annually. This is Full-time, exempt position.
In addition to salary commensurate with experience, the Academy offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes affordable health insurance, retirement plan with matching employer contribution, personal & career development stipend as well as liberal paid time off policies.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must include a resume, cover letter and desired salary.