DEPARTMENT: Annals/ Publications
REPORTS TO: Chief Scientific Officer & Editor-in-Chief
Work at a senior, independent level as a member of the editorial team to maintain the growing impact and international reputation of Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, a rigorously peer-reviewed hybrid journal available in over 100 countries and ranked among the top multi-disciplinary journals worldwide.
2022 Impact factor: 5.185
5-year Impact factor: 6.290
2022 Journal Citation Reports (Clarivate Analytics):17/73 (Multidisciplinary Sciences)
- Develop and maintain relationships with leading scientists to facilitate the acquisition and publication of manuscripts on a wide range of topics.
- Invite submissions, triage submitted manuscripts, oversee peer review, and edit and copyedit manuscripts. Attention to detail is essential.
- Research and analyze comparative data to facilitate optimal editorial growth, content development, and journal impact strategies.
- Collaborate with other NYAS programs and departments as required, including marketing, communications, and online publishing.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Must have a Ph.D. and postdoctoral experience (in any area of biological sciences).
- At least 5-years’ experience with all editorial responsivities required for publication of an international scientific journal, including networking with scientists and other players in the international scientific community.
- Be a strongly collaborative team worker, comfortable with co-ownership of shared goals and with a high level of personal and professional accountability.
- A track record of creating, implementing, and improving journal strategy and development plans.
- A thorough understanding of Open Access publishing and journal development.
- Very good knowledge of all aspects of publishing ethics, procedures, and practice.
- Excellent strategic thinking and analytical skills.
- Outstanding communication skills in English, written and spoken.
- Must have strong working knowledge of PubMed/MEDLINE, PMC, Web of Science, Scopus, and ScholarOne (or similar online manuscript system).
WORK SCHEDULE/ WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
Academy employees work on a hybrid schedule with in-office days scheduled by management.
This is a largely sedentary role.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Salary: $80,000- 90,000 Annually
This is Full-time, Exempt position. In addition to salary, the Academy offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes affordable health insurance, retirement plan with matching employer contribution, personal & career development stipend as well as liberal paid time off policies.
Additional Work Schedule/ Work Environment information:
The New York Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer, adhering to the laws which prohibit discrimination in the terms, conditions and privileges of employment. Academy policy expressly prohibits discrimination in employment because of any legally impermissible classification, including but not limited to actual or perceived race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.