DEPARTMENT: Conference Center
REPORTS TO: Director, Meeting & Event Operations
The Senior Manager of Meeting & Event Operations is responsible for planning and executing events (virtual, hybrid and fully onsite events) for a variety of scientific programming. Work closely with the Academy’s programmatic staff, shared services teams and outside vendors/contractors to manage event timelines and deliver multi-format scientific events to a broad audience.
In addition, the Senior Manager of Meeting & Event Operations will be responsible for leading the team of Meeting Coordinators, providing input and advice where needed, addressing challenges and serving as a subject matter expert, utilizing best practices and feedback to problem solve to ensure that event expectations and deliverables are met.
- Works closely with scientific program leaders and stakeholders to provide strategic and operational guidance on the planning and execution of existing and new programs as required across various formats: business line conferences, custom publishing events, symposium, discussion groups, board meetings, committee meetings and galas + special events.
- Run stakeholder meetings to coordinate logistics for events including site selection, budget development and maintenance, contract negotiation, food and beverage, audio-visual setup, invitation list development and registration management.
- Prepare and manage program budgets and timelines for collateral production, catering, AV, accommodations, etc and collaborate with other support teams across the Academy (communications, marketing, AV, web, etc). to ensure all event logistics are executed in a sophisticated and flawless manner
- Demonstrate effective project management for events, establishing critical milestones and deliverables and measuring success against key performance indicators.
- Update business rules, training guides, SOPs and other documentation for the department as required.
- Prepare meeting formats, schedules, room assignments, layout preparation, menus, guarantees, function specifications, scripting and related details to ensure seamless virtual and on-site management of events.
- Develop guidelines and entitlements for sponsorships. Coordinate the activities or product disbursement of sponsored areas as well as the fulfillment of entitlements for sponsorships. Ensures that all shared services departments are following agreements.
- Provide input for the development of RFPs, proposals and agreements for staging, production, design, creative elements, lighting, sound and audio visual for meetings and conferences. Source support vendors for off-site meetings (including but not limited to: AV, special events, temp staff) and act as liaison to communicate meeting specifications and manage execution and delivery
- Responsible for all speaker coordination associated with events including: collecting presentations and gathering speaker logistic requirements for on-site execution.
- Responsible for managing poster presenters and travel fellowship awardees.
- Adhere to procedures for timely and accurate registration for conferences and meetings. Develop and maintain systems for timely analysis of registration and attendance data and compile appropriate reports and statistics to evaluate the success of programs as well as coordination with finance event budget reconciliation.
- Conduct post-meeting evaluations, recommends and implements areas for improvement, potential cost savings, and potential revenue producing areas of interest
- Keep abreast of marketplace trends related to venues and vendors to provide relevant and innovative ideas and solutions; maintaining excellent working relationships with venue contacts and vendors. Formulates and maintains clear communication and professional relationships between the Academy and professional and industry organizations, as well as hotels, suppliers, partners.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of meeting coordinators.
- Minimum Five years experience in meeting management and event planning
- Excellent project management skills with a data-driven mindset focused on setting and measuring progress thru established metrics.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems creatively and develop systems and procedures.
- Strong computer (MS Office, database) and communication skills. Cvent, EMS experience a plus
- Proven ability to work independently and collaboratively with attention to detail and organization.
- Thorough knowledge of meeting planning techniques
- Experience in staging, production and audio-visual logistics
- Strong knowledge of hotel operation and operating procedures
- Strong negotiating skills
- Knowledge of sponsorship opportunities and solicitation
- Able to communicate effectively with all effectively levels of management, staff, attendees and suppliers
WORK SCHEDULE AND ENVIRONMENT:
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
In addition, the Director of Meeting and Event Operations may occasionally be asked to work outside of standard business hours (evening or weekends) depending on event scheduling and other business needs.
This is a hybrid position, with in-office days scheduled based on meetings, events and business needs. Employees must be based in New York.
This is a largely sedentary role.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Salary Range: $75,000 annually- $85,000 annually.
This is Full-time, Exempt position.
In addition to salary, the Academy offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes affordable health insurance, retirement plan with matching employer contribution, personal & career development stipend as well as liberal paid time off policies.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must include a resume, cover letter and salary requirements.