JOB TITLE: SVP, Global Licensing & Partnerships (SVP-GLP)
DEPARTMENT: Global STEM Alliance (GSA)
The GSA LLC is a wholly-owned, not-for-profit subsidiary of the New York Academy of Sciences. It is dedicated to dramatically improving the STEM pipeline in three ways: by attracting underserved children; by empowering gifted children in STEM challenges, and by improving the soft and hard skills of young people interested in STEM-based careers.
The GSA, which was launched at the United Nations with the support of the leaders of the International Telecommunications Union and UNESCO, is now active in about 100 countries. It works with about 250 academic, philanthropic, corporate, government, and institutional partners to serve thousands of children. Its goal is to reach a million children by 2030.
The GSA LLC consists of numerous important programs:
- The Junior Academy: a virtual community for exceptional teens around the world.
- 1000 Girls, 1000 Futures: a virtual, global mentoring program for young women interested in STEM.
- The Afterschool STEM Mentoring Program: the Academy recruits and trains undergraduates, graduate students, post-doctorates and other professionals in related STEM fields to serve as mentors in after-school settings throughout New York City and the surrounding area.
- Scientist-in-Residence: the Academy pairs undergraduates, graduate students, post- doctorates and professionals in STEM fields with public-school teachers in New York City and the surrounding area.
- Science Alliance/SALT: an online and in-person development program designed to prepare undergraduate and graduate students, and post-doctorate researchers for transition from academia to industry.
- STEM Certification: based on the Academy’s proprietary STEM Education Framework, a research-based set of best practices focused on the development of 21st-century skills. The certification consists of the following services: Expert Review/Certification, Consulting, and Professional Development.
- STEM Camps/Tours: out-of-school enrichment programs (e.g., summer camps, educational tours) for elementary, middle, and high school students.
- Innovation Challenges: through partnerships with companies in industry, innovation challenges create competitions during which individuals or teams from specific organizations develop novel solutions to industry- or company-related problems.
(More information on programs is available on the Website.)
The GSA LLC is seeking a highly seasoned, entrepreneurial business professional with proven success at scaling up and growing businesses globally through licensing and international partnerships.
Working closely with the GSA LLC Board of Managers, the CEO, COO, and the senior team, the SVP-GLP will lead the effort to take the GSA programs to the next level of impact. It is crucial that she or he personally take a lead role in developing sustainable revenue sources — especially earned-revenue opportunities — so as to ensure that the GSA will be a sustainable entity.
The first priority for the SVP of Global Business Development will be to develop and implement a global licensing and partnership plan, capitalizing on the groundwork and accomplishments already realized in the GSA. Aligned with the Academy’s mission and strategy, he/she will capitalize on burgeoning GSA program opportunities and will partner with corporations, universities, and government agencies (both foreign and domestic) that are seeking to realize the benefits and impact of these programs.
Scaling up the Academy’s programs globally will require a keen understanding of the value propositions and marketability of these programs. Candidates will need to demonstrate experience in building relationships and successfully creating partnerships in global organizations.
This position will be externally facing and will entail market research and mining of the Academy’s current and prospective networks. Extensive U.S./global travel and virtual communication will be required; the SVP-GLP will serve as the lead “scout” in the search for opportunities to grow programs.
This position will also require skills in negotiation, licensing, partnership arrangements, contracting, cost-benefit analysis, intellectual-property (IP) management, and quality assurance.
The SVP-GLP will be responsible to the GSA LLC Board of Managers and will report directly to the CEO and COO.
The specific responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serve as a strategic thought partner to the CEO, COO, and the GSA Board of Managers, providing counsel and insight on high-potential funding opportunities.
- Work with executive management and GSA management to develop a GSA licensing strategy through strategic partnerships.
- Identify potential opportunities that are strategically aligned and sustainable.
- Create and describe the GSA story and opportunities in a compelling way; clearly articulate the value and unique differentiators of the GSA programs.
- Collaborate with the GSA team to help maximize every opportunity for the department.
- Ensure high-value program execution and oversight via disciplined and strategic program-portfolio management
- Engage and inspire the Academy’s Board and staff to enthusiastically support and embrace the Academy’s GSA global initiatives.
Marketplace Presence and Opportunity Development
- Develop, manage, and leverage high-level relationships with program partners.
- Initiate and consummate licensing and partnership agreements.
- Develop sufficient financial resources to support GSA’s program-growth goals.
- Cultivate networks and identify new program-funding opportunities.
- Work with the Academy’s communications/marketing team to position, brand, and promote high-potential programs.
- Engage in global meetings/events that are advantageous to the Academy’s programs.
- Establish and manage external licensing/contracts and intellectual-property agreements.
Program Planning and Building
- Gain fluency and understanding of the Academy’s GSA programs.
- Develop business plans and articulate economically sound business models, including pricing/costing structures and human/other resource requirements needed for execution.
- Develop and implement sound licensing/partnership agreements that have long-term and sustainable value for GSA.
- Collaborate effectively with appropriate Academy leaders and other staff on the development of actionable project plans for licensing and partnership arrangements.
A bachelor’s degree is required. An advanced degree is highly desirable.
Experience, Competencies, and Personal Characteristics
- Minimum 15 years of relevant experience, with 10+ years of experience as an entrepreneurial, global business developer is required.
- Thorough understanding and demonstrated success in developing and executing strategic partnerships and licensing agreements internationally is required.
- Broad-based, strategic business sense; creates innovative plans to achieve goals.
- Demonstrated skills in efficiently and creatively scaling up programs, while maximizing their economic returns and ensuring program quality.
- Proven ability to network and to mobilize interested parties; success at translating commercial excitement into a formal contractual relationship.
- Excellent partnering, negotiating, and contracting skills in all sectors of business, academia, government, and NGOs. Experience in both large and small businesses, as well as nonprofit organizations is desirable.
- Proven skills and experience marketing and selling science-based, innovative programs; experience within the STEM field is highly desirable.
- Excellent business assessment skills; capable of synthesizing complex data and making sound recommendations.
- Outstanding interpersonal and relationship management skills; demonstrated success at cultivating good working relationships for/with presidents/CEOs and boards
- Outstanding communication skills, capability to listen and synthesize critical issues; ability to persuade and influence a variety of audiences; well-honed consultative skills.
- Proven project management/portfolio management skills; capable of establishing priorities and delivering high-quality work on a timely and cost-effective basis.
- A smart, dynamic entrepreneurial leader; a “self-starter” with the necessary drive and stamina to respond to the demands of the Academy by “rolling up his/her sleeves” and working collaboratively to achieve goals.
- Unquestionable personal integrity; exudes credibility and professionalism; quickly builds confidence in others; passionate and committed to the mission of the Academy
Compensation and Work Requirements
The position offers very competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefit package.
Applications and Referrals
Applicants should send a current resume in Word format to:
Ms. Chiharu (Cara) Arai
Senior Engagement Director, 3D Leadership, LLC
The Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer seeking a diverse workforce.