DEPARTMENT: Global STEM Alliance
REPORTS TO: Senior Vice President, Education
The Temporary Program Manager, Science Alliance provides operational oversight of programs and services that serve the career advancement related needs of early career scientists (graduate students and post-docs). The temporary program manager will also oversee the development and implementation of events and online resources that provide networking, and educational opportunities for young scientists. The Temporary Program Manager Science Alliance will work closely with other departments at the Academy, help raise support and publicize events and programs. The Temporary Program Manager will also help manage existing Science Alliance Relationships including site visits to schools.
- Implement and promote programs and events on career issues for grad students and postdocs, taking advantage of the Academy’s unique resource as an institution at the intersection of academe, business, and government, with its enormous convening and dissemination power. If appropriate, develop and manage new events for Spring 2018.
- Work closely with Global STEM Alliance programs to identify and promote mentoring opportunities among the Science Alliance membership
- Working with the Membership Department, ensure contract obligations are met to acquire new members from partner universities, maintain databases of campus contacts at Alliance institutions and Alliance members, and facilitate the negotiation of new contracts.
- Publicize Science Alliance through individual career talks, conference presentations, journal articles, and social media.
- Develop grant proposals, create special events, and meet with relevant individuals as necessary.
Events and Programming
- Provide opportunities for career advancement and networking locally, state-wide, nationally and internationally.
- Utilizing the existing Science Alliance Committee to liaise with faculty, administrators, students and postdocs at area universities, develop programs and resources with appropriate format and content that will be of value and interest to the Science Alliance community.
Publicize Science Alliance and Serve as Expert in the Field
- Take steps to promote membership, SA events and other Academy events within the SA community through social media and other online channels to increase participation and awareness.
- Represent the Science Alliance/Academy at career fairs, conferences, scientific meetings, and other large gatherings of scientists and educators, and be able to speak on a selection of career development topics for Science Alliance “Around Town” campus engagements. These requires about 20% of travel time during the year.
- Working with the Academy Marketing and Program Departments, develop strategies for outreach to the SA community.
- Working with the Academy’s Web Team, develop content for the Science Alliance web portal and other relevant channels.
- In collaboration with the Meeting & Event Operations Department, organize support and logistics for Alliance programs (room location, catering, A/V, etc.).
- Oversee Science Alliance-related activities of a part-time program coordinator and affiliated contractors.
Supervises the activities of an administrative assistant as it relates to Science Alliance.
- D. or advanced degree in the sciences preferred.
- Knowledge of career development with 1 - 2 years’ experience in program management and grant writing.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task, work creatively and independently as well as function in a team environment.
- Must be available for periodic travel and working during the evenings and weekend events.
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
This is a temporary position for up to 6 months.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, etc. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some movement is required. Examples world be lifting files, opening filling cabinets and bending or standing as necessary.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must include a resume, cover letter and salary requirements.