JOB TITLE: Vice President, Corporate Relations
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Advancement
As a 501(c) (3) charity organization, the Academy seeks philanthropic support to carry out its mission and ensure that the institution has the resources, talent, and ability to deliver its innovative programs. The Academy receives strong support from industry partners and, with the leadership of a driven and entrepreneurial Vice President, Corporate Relations, has ample opportunity to expand its corporate funding portfolio, specifically in support of innovative and growing programs in STEM Education, Life Sciences, and Physical Sciences and Engineering, as well as in discretionary programmatic initiatives and development campaigns.
The Vice President, Corporate Relations is an externally facing position responsible for identifying, initiating, building and soliciting a pool of key/high-level private industry relationships to secure high-impact philanthropic investments in NYAS science, research, and programs. S/he will manage a portfolio of corporate relationships and advance all aspects of fundraising and sponsorship to meet revenue goals in support of Academy programs and events.
S/he will build and maintain deep and strong partnerships across multiple industries including pharmaceutical/biotech, food/beverage, energy, finance, law, real estate, chemicals, manufacturing, and others. S/he will be responsible for developing and implementing corporate development strategies and managing efforts of Development and Program staff as needed to achieve success. These including identifying prospects and developing, cultivating, and stewarding new partnerships and sponsorships, as well as renewing support from existing partners.
The Vice President, Corporate Relations will be a key member of a dedicated Development team and will collaborate within the department and across the organization to develop and implement strategies to drive corporate support.
- Maximize the corporate support of current corporate supporters and sponsors.
Identify and cultivate prospect leads in industry (and corporate foundations, as appropriate) to support Academy programs, with the goal of securing multiple new 6-7-figure contributions.
- Provide stewardship to existing corporate partners and secure ongoing renewed suppor
- Collaborate closely with the conference sponsorships team to build out multidimensional strategic relationships with corporate sponsors, donors, and prospects to drive overall corporate support to $10M annually by 2022.
- Coordinate the Academy’s relationships with businesses, industry leaders, national organizations, and other private entities seeking access to NYAS resources and forge research and philanthropic partnerships.
- Responsible for developing and implementing strategic priorities and budgets for industry support and sponsorship in collaboration with senior members of the Development team and Program sta
- Synergize and leverage opportunities across internal science and development teams in the solicitation of national and international corporations located in greater NYC metro.
- Advise senior management team, scientific Vice Presidents, and staff on corporate areas of interest to identify and develop new opportunities for support.
- Respond to queries as the expert on corporate funding priorities.
Prospect Research and Proposal Management
- Maintain current and accurate internal records of corporate donor relationships and interactions through the Raiser’s Edge donor/prospect database.
- Develop and coordinate and/or assign tasks regarding overall prospect research and proposal development including: tracking of cultivation, stewardship, and solicitation activity for corporate prospects, partners, and supporters.
- Write and submit proposals directly or via staff.
- Participate in regular Development meetings to share updates of activitie
- Collaborate with Development staff, sharing best practices, current challenges, and opportunities and to assist in framing overall development strateg
Reporting and Analysis
- Develop and coordinate reports as required to industry partners. Utilize donor database (Raiser’s Edge) for reporting/analysis that measure progress against department goals.
- A high degree of integrity, drive, and persuasiveness – a self-starter who leads by example and measures success by results.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, marketing, science, engineering, or equivalen Master’s Degree preferred.
- Five years of demonstrated senior experience in corporate fundraising and sponsorship securing six- and seven-figure gifts, grants, and underwritings. with knowledge of corporate giving, including CSR programs, corporate foundations, and corporate outreach programs.
- Superior writing, oral communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated results in developing strategic partnerships.
- Strong background or demonstrated interest in science.
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or other similar donor or customer relationship databases. Proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and presentation software.
- Advanced skills in project management and budget.
- Ability to think creatively and to innovate.
- Excellent flexibility and adaptability skills with a strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit to accommodate large responsibility and multiple priorities.
- Ability to work within a team framework and manage teams and projects.
- Ability to develop strong presence in the community through effective networking, planning, and execution of fundraising strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to meet and exceed revenue projections.
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from
9am-5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, etc. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some movement is required. Examples world be lifting files, opening filling cabinets and bending or standing as necessary.
The New York Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer, adhering to the laws which prohibit discrimination in the terms, conditions and privileges of employment. Academy policy expressly prohibits discrimination in employment because of any legally impermissible classification, including but not limited to actual or perceived race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must include a resume, cover letter and salary requirements.