As a 501(c) (3) charity organization, the Academy seeks philanthropic support to carry out its mission and ensure that the institution has the resources, talent, and ability to deliver its innovative programs. The Academy receives strong support from foundation partners and, with the leadership of a driven and entrepreneurial Vice President, Foundation Relations, has ample opportunity to expand its funding portfolio, specifically in support of innovative and growing programs in STEM Education, Life Sciences, and Physical Sciences and Engineering, as well as in discretionary programmatic initiatives and development campaigns.
The Vice President of Foundation Relations is an externally facing position responsible for identifying, initiating, building, and soliciting high-level institutional relationships to secure high-impact philanthropic investments in NYAS science, research, programs, education and skilling, and events. The incumbent will possess a deep understanding of science and research, fundraising, or investment experience with basic, life, or physical sciences organizations and institutions.
The incumbent is an entrepreneurial, collaborative and experienced fundraising professional within the Office of Development and focused on foundation prospects and donors. Reporting to the Vice President of Advancement with a dotted line to the President/CEO, this position will work in partnership with NYAS scientific leadership to establish and advance relationships with key external funders.
- Lead NYAS’s strategic efforts to develop and implement complex and multi-faceted fundraising strategies for revenue growth, solicitations, and stewardship plans for regional, national and global private and public foundations and public charitie 50%
- Identify and prioritize mission-aligned institutional prospects and donors to engage and support NYAS research, programs and events. 15%
- Build close working relationships with a wide variety of internal NYAS partners to successfully cultivate, solicit, and steward external institutional dono These partners will include NYAS’s scientific directors, program officers, event managers, scientists, finance staff and, when appropriate, Board of Governors. 15%
- Coordinate meetings and site visits when needed with foundation leaders to promote NYAS’s programmatic excellence and create collaborative funding opportunities. 10%
- Establish a deep working knowledge of NYAS research, convenings, education and skilling programs, and events series in partnership with NYAS internal stakeholders.
- Strategically develop funding opportunities for research priorities at NYAS, education programs in partnership with key internal stakeholders and, when appropriate, members of the Board of Governors.
- Provide overall direction and coordination when developing funding proposals.
- Work closely with NYAS scientific writers and serve as proposal editor.
- Forge and lead new approaches for successful stewardship and reporting to key philanthropic partners, including establishing internal mechanisms to track and engage scientific progress on an ongoing basis.
- Maintain advanced knowledge and understanding of philanthropic and fundraising best practices to interact capably with donors and their advisors on charitable gift
- Serve as an effective spokesperson and champion for NYAS both through verbal and written communication. 10%
Manage the activities of a full-time Foundation Relations Director.
- A high degree of integrity, drive, and persuasiveness – a self-starter who leads by example and measures success by results.
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, marketing, science, engineering, or equivalent Master’s Degree preferred.
- Ten years of demonstrated senior experience in foundation fundraising securing six- and seven-figure gifts, grants, and underwritings.
- Superior writing, oral communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong background or demonstrated interest in science
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge or other similar donor or customer relationship databases. Proficiency in word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and presentation software.
- Advanced skills in project management and budget.
- Ability to think creatively and to innovate.
- Excellent flexibility and adaptability skills with a strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit to accommodate large responsibility and multiple priorities.
- Ability to work within a team framework and manage teams and projects.
- Ability to develop strong presence in the community through effective networking, planning, and execution of fundraising strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to meet and exceed revenue projections.
The Academy operates during standard business hours Monday through Friday from 9am-5pm. Standard work week is 35 hours, unless otherwise noted.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, etc. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some movement is required. Examples world be lifting files, opening filling cabinets and bending or standing as necessary.
The New York Academy of Sciences is an Equal Opportunity Employer, adhering to the laws which prohibit discrimination in the terms, conditions and privileges of employment. Academy policy expressly prohibits discrimination in employment because of any legally impermissible classification, including but not limited to actual or perceived race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must include a resume, cover letter and salary requirements.