Support The World's Smartest Network

Help the New York Academy of Sciences bring late-breaking scientific information about the COVID-19 pandemic to global audiences. Please make a tax-deductible gift today.

This site uses cookies.
Learn more.


This website uses cookies. Some of the cookies we use are essential for parts of the website to operate while others offer you a better browsing experience. You give us your permission to use cookies, by continuing to use our website after you have received the cookie notification. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to change your cookie settings, see our Privacy policy and Terms of Use.

We encourage you to learn more about cookies on our site in our Privacy policy and Terms of Use.

Support Progress in STEM

Be part of the solution by making a gift to the Academy's 2014 annual fund today.

Published December 15, 2014

Support Progress in STEM

Give Today!We hear it all the time: There are not enough scientists. But as you know, the challenge is more complex than that.

A highly regarded Academy white paper reported that there are actually sufficient numbers of graduates in STEM, but the REAL problem is that the most promising potential innovators, especially women and the underserved, are being left out of the sciences. And adding to the dilemma, there are millions of children who will never have an opportunity to be inspired, to learn, to engage with hands on science, or meet a scientist role model.

We play a truly catalytic role in reversing this trend — starting here in New York — and now, worldwide. We can do what no other organization can do because the Academy embraces a unique concept: We believe that science education, support and mentorship does not have a beginning or an end.

We approach science education as a journey that is much more than what happens in schools alone. It involves not only stakeholders in academia, in nonprofit and for profit labs, but also laymen in government, business, philanthropy, and the social sector. At its heart, it's teamwork, but that’s easier said than done. As a result of our nearly 200 years as a center for learning, teaching, and collaborating, the Academy is in a unique position to harness the power of collective impact for progress in science.

Only 20% of science PhDs will end up working in academia. How do we prepare the other 80% for their futures? In this video you'll hear about how the Academy's Science Alliance program helped prepare Anar Murphy, PhD, a Developmental Editor in the Life Sciences at John Wiley and Sons (Biotechnology & Bioengineering and Cytometry Part A), for her career in scientific publishing.

Science Alliance works to expose young scientsts to skills and experiences that will help them meet new challenges within the lab and beyond it.


By giving today to the New York Academy of Sciences you directly influence our ability to educate and mentor children around the world, creating the next generation of scientists:

  • $5,000 - Creates new mentor relationships through the Academy’s new Global STEM Alliance.
  • $1,000 - Helps the Academy conduct an online career development seminar.
  • $500 - Brings working STEM professionals to a school in the Bronx.
  • $250 - Helps seed an innovation challenge on safe water.
  • $100 - Supplements student registration for one of the academy’s 150 landmark scientific conferences.

Your support ensures that the Academy will continue to create scientific solutions, build communities that embrace progress in science, and increase the public’s understanding and appreciation of science for years to come. We envision a day when access to great science and scientists will be available to kids throughout the world – a day when the next Noble Award recipient could as easily come from a remote village as New York City.

You can help make this a reality and be a part of the collective action that we are catalyzing. Please be part of the solution by making a gift to the 2014 annual fund. Your Academy relies on your support to build these bridges locally and around the world.

With warmest wishes,

Ellis Rubinstein, President and CEO
The New York Academy of Sciences