Leaders in Education, Health, Development and Business Elected NYAS Governors
Six new governors and reelected officers were installed at the Academy’s 191st Annual Meeting.
Published September 17, 2009
NEW YORK—A top City University of New York official, the chair of New York State’s scientific and technical development foundation, and several leading corporate executives are among the six new members of the New York Academy of Sciences Board of Governors.
Other new governors installed during the Academy's 191st Annual Membership Meeting, held Sept. 17 at the Academy's 7 World Trade Center headquarters include the president of a leading medical education foundation and top executive of one of the nation’s leading health insurers. Academy President Ellis Rubinstein also announced the formation of a new International Board of Governors.
The new governors are:
- Robert B. Catell – Chair, New York State Foundation for Science, Technology, and Innovation (NYSTAR).
- Mehmood Khan – Chief Scientific Officer, PepsiCo.
- Russell Read -- Chief Executive Officer, C Change Investments.
- George E. Thibault – President, Josiah Macy, Jr., Foundation.
- Iris Weinshall -- Vice Chancellor at the City University of New York.
- Anthony Welters -- Executive Vice President, UnitedHealth Group.
"We're thrilled to welcome this distinguished group of leaders in science, medicine, academia, business, and industry to our Board of Governors," said NYAS President Ellis Rubinstein. "They join an equally impressive collection of colleagues, all of them committed to helping guide the Academy in its ongoing renaissance and championing its exciting mission to support scientists and scientific discovery in New York City and beyond."
In addition to the newly elected governors, two sitting governors were reelected:
- Brian Greene, Professor of physics and mathematics at Columbia University.
- Frank Wilczek, Nobel Laureate & Herman Feshbach Professor of Physics, MIT.
New York University President John E. Sexton was reelected Board Chair and Bruce S. McEwen, the Alfred E. Mirsky Professor of Neuroendocrinology at the Rockefeller University, was reelected Vice Chair. Developer Jay Furman, president of RD Management LLC, was elected Treasurer.
Members of the Academy's new International Board of Governors are:
- Manuel Camacho Solis, – Director, Proyectos Ommega, S.C.
- Gerald Chan, – Co-Founder, Morningside
- Rajendra K. Pachauri, – Nobel Laureate & Director General, The Energy & Resources Institute; Chairman, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
- Paul Stoffels, – Company Chairman, Global Research and Development, Pharmaceuticals Group, at Johnson & Johnson .
Longtime board members Karen E. Burke and John F. Niblack were named Honorary Life Governors of the Academy. And Noel Laureate Torsten N. Wiesel was named Chairman Emeritus.
For further information, please see the Academy's Board of Governors page.
About the New York Academy of Sciences
Founded in 1817, the New York Academy of Sciences (NYAS) is an independent, nonprofit organization committed to advancing science, technology, and society worldwide. With about 23,000 members in 140 countries, NYAS is creating a global community of science for the benefit of humanity. NYAS' core mission is to advance scientific knowledge, positively impact the major global challenges of society with science-based solutions, and increase the number of scientifically informed individuals in society at large.
Contact: Adrienne Burke, 212-298-8655, email@example.com