Research shows that interactions with real STEM professionals can transform kids views of science and positively impact their career aspirations. But most students in the New York area rarely have the opportunity to meet and interact with real scientists. That’s why the Academy created an outreach effort called Family Science Night, which recruits Academy Members, grad students, postdocs, and STEM professionals to spend 2 hours working with kids on hands-on projects. With 5 family science nights per year, one in each borough, we hope to make this volunteer opportunity accessible to scientists and engineers throughout the greater New York area.
Family Science Nights
What are the goals of Family Science Night?
The program goals are to inspire curiosity and excitement about STEM topics among middle school students through hands-on STEM activities, and to connect inquisitive students with professional role models in STEM through meaningful, in-person interactions.
What are the qualifications to become a volunteer?
Qualified Family Science Night volunteers are:
- Passionate about serving their communities and inspiring the next generation of scientists and thinkers
- Located within commuting distance of the New York City metropolitan area
- College or Graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, or professionals in a STEM field
How are Family Science Night locations selected?
To select Family Science Night host locations, the Academy works closely with the Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) to identify appropriate partnership opportunities around New York City.
How much time is involved?
Volunteers are asked to arrive 30 minutes before the start of each event to practice the activities they will replicate with students. Each Family Science Night typically lasts 90 minutes.
Recruiting and Family Science Night dates
Volunteer recruitment for this program is conducted on a rolling basis. The upcoming Family Science Nights will be held on:
- Wednesday, November 29th, 2017: 3:30pm - 6:30pm at Good Shepherd Services at MS 45, 2502 Lorillard Place, Bronx
- Thursday, November 30th, 2017: 4:30pm - 6:30pm at Harbor Science and Arts Charter School 132/142 E 111th St, New York, NY 10029
- Wednesday, January 31st, 2018: 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm at Link Community Charter School, 23 Pennsylvania Ave, Newark, NJ 07114
To volunteer for the dates above, please submit an application here.
The remaining Family Science Night dates in other boroughs are still TBD. Volunteers interested in participating in future Family Science Nights and other events like these are encouraged visit our Mentor Opportunities page, click on the NOTIFY ME button, and select the box for “Single Day & Short-Term” opportunities.
If you have any questions concerning the Global STEM Alliance or Family Science Nights, email us at ASMP@nyas.org.