This year changes to the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) put into place a historic new rule changing the minimum salary level in order to be exempt from overtime ages. Effective December 1, 2016 salaried workers earning less than $47,476 per year are eligible for overtime wages, up from the previous threshold of $23,660. As a result, institutions have the option to increase the minimum salary for postdocs or to classify postdocs as hourly workers eligible for overtime wages if they work over 40 hours per week.
In this Webinar we will discuss the basic structure of the new rules, how institutions and NGOs are adapting to the changes, and the implications for the postdoc job market going forward. The second part of the Webinar will feature comments and feedback from the National Postdoctoral Association and the Future of Research organization, as well as examples from institutions like the University of California that have been implemented for postdocs and visiting scholars.
Some of the questions to be covered include:
- • Who is exempt from this new rule?
- • What are Institutions doing to support the new FLSA ruling? What about non-NRSA postdocs?
- • Which fields will be most heavily impacted by the rule and potential repercussions?
- • Would the number of postdocs decrease? How will research be affected?
- • What other aspects should be considered (parental leave, health insurance, and time off)?
- • What does this mean for the postdoc job market going forward?
- • How will international postdocs be impacted by this new rule?
This webinar is intended for graduate students considering postdoctoral positions, current postdocs and PI/institutions.
Organizer: Yaihara Fortis Santiago, PhD- The New York Academy of Sciences
Moderator: Alison P. Sanders, PhD- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Kate Sleeth, PhD - National Postdoctoral Association
Gary McDowell, PhD- The Future of Research
Sam Castañeda- University of California at Berkeley
Webinar Registration Pricing
|Member (Student / Postdoc / Resident / Fellow)
|Nonmember (Student / Postdoc / Resident / Fellow)