A Global Network of Innovators
For over a decade, the Academy has worked with partners across industry, academia, and government to unlock global talent and drive innovation through science and technology challenges. These virtual competitions engage our network of STEM thinkers in applying their scientific inquiry skills to solve defined, real world problems. Innovation challenge solvers are connected to a community of peers - as well as opportunities from leading companies - through our virtual platform.
Open Innovation Challenges harness the creative problem-solving power of our worldwide community of scientists, engineers, and young researchers.
A Unique Virtual Collaboration Platform
The Academy’s flexible technology platform, Launchpad, enables virtual collaboration and project-based activities between any configuration of participants. Spanning time zones, cultures, and disciplines, Launchpad enables solvers to work together, share ideas, fine-tune designs, and ultimately harness the most effective concepts and put them to the test. Through their participation, solvers get the opportunity to deepen their analytical skills, engage in original research, and design novel solutions to the real-world problems that are identified and framed by our partners.
Visit our challenge page to see a full list of upcoming and past challenges.
"The challenge immediately grabbed my attention as it posed both human and technical problems: helping disadvantaged people, while, at the same time, improving an existing technology that impacts the environment. Given my experience in chemical engineering, biotechnology, food packaging and new, green, raw materials, I knew I had the ability to develop a sound proposal.”
– Challenge Winner
Chenelle Bonavito Martinez, MS
Vice President, Policy & Innovation
Identifying Game-Changing Opportunities
Innovation Challenges can help your organization identify game-changing opportunities, and connect with a new generation of STEM innovators.To learn how your company can sponsor an Innovation Challenge, contact Celina Morgan-Standard (email@example.com)
SVP Business Development
As an Innovation Challenge Sponsor, your organization will benefit from:
- Customized Scoping: We’ll assemble a panel of experts to help identify and define a challenge topic of strategic importance to your company or organization.
- A Unique Virtual Collaboration Platform: Your challenge will be hosted on Launchpad, a flexible technology platform that enables virtual collaboration and project-based activities between any configuration of participants.
- Advice from Experienced Mentors: We’ll recruit a group of up to 25 experienced mentors to provide guidance and advice to your challenge participants.
- Opportunities for Employee Engagement: As the Challenge Sponsor, you’ll have the opportunity to nominate mentors, judges and experts from within your own organization – a great way to build your employee’s coaching and leadership skills!
- Awareness & Engagement from Target Audiences: Based upon the demographics and expertise of the audiences you are seeking to reach, we will recruit a custom community of up to 1,000 Solvers to participate in your Challenge.