STEM Education for the 21st Century
In today's global information- and technology-driven economy, successful individuals must be both STEM literate and equipped with 21st-century skills such as creativity, communication, collaboration, and persistence. To address this need, the STEM Certification Program promotes science, technology, engineering, and mathematics education that builds content knowledge and 21st-century skills.
A Framework for STEM Learning
The GSA STEM Education Framework is a set of research-based best practices that foster STEM learning, as well as the development of higher order 21st-century skills. This freely available resource sets out a vision for STEM curricula that prepare students to live and work in the modern world.
Recognizing Quality STEM Resources
STEM education is more important than ever—and countless organizations are developing and promoting STEM content, resources, and instructional programs for the education sector. Yet little objective information exists to help decision-makers identify high-quality materials. The STEM Certification Program addresses this need by reviewing and certifying materials aligned with our STEM Education Framework.
The STEM Education Framework was developed by
Join the growing list of organizations whose materials have been certified
A Framework for 21st-century STEM Learning
The GSA STEM Education Framework establishes a vision for STEM teaching and learning that prepares students to live and work in the modern world.
- Based on the latest learning science and education research
- Developed by the New York Academy of Sciences, a 200 year-old institution dedicated to advancing scientific research, education, and policy, and SRI Education, a division of SRI International and an established leader in STEM education research, instructional design, implementation, and evaluation
- Reviewed by an international advisory board of education experts
An Open Educational Resource
The GSA STEM Education Framework is a freely available resource to be used by anyone engaged in STEM education—curriculum developers, content providers, teachers, students, parents, school leaders, policymakers, and philanthropists—to ensure that their efforts align to sound pedagogy and best practices.
The framework outlines 26 features of quality STEM education in three fundamental areas:
- Core Competencies: To what extent are students provided with opportunities to develop essential 21st-century skills?
- Instructional Design: To what extent do the materials and/or program design reflect research-based pedagogy and a cohesive system of learning objectives, supports, and assessment resources?
- Implementation: To what extent are necessary supports or services available to facilitate distribution and ensure effective implementation?
Recognizing Quality STEM Resources
The STEM Certification Program facilitates selection of high-quality STEM materials for the education sector by reviewing and certifying materials that align with our STEM Education Framework.
How It Works
- Submit materials for review. Any curriculum, set of instructional materials, educational program, or product intended for formal or informal STEM learning may be reviewed, including instructional software, online courses, educational games, apps, and professional development resources.
- Reviews conducted by independent experts. All reviews are performed by a panel of experts with advanced degrees and deep knowledge related to the subject matter, grade level, and intended audience of the materials under review.
- Receive actionable feedback. Each review concludes with a detailed report of how the materials align to each element of the framework.
- Receive GSA Certification. Materials that align to the framework receive official certification from the New York Academy of Sciences’ Global STEM Alliance, an initiative designed to advance STEM education worldwide.
Benefits of Certification
- Recognition that your materials reflect best practices
- Official New York Academy of Sciences certification seal for use in promotional materials
- Recognition on our website
- Promotional opportunities through the Global STEM Alliance, a coalition of more than 250 partners in 100 countries and regions around the world