STEM Education for the 21st Century
In today's global information- and technology-driven economy, successful individuals must be both STEM literate and equipped with 21st-century skills such as creativity, communication, collaboration, and persistence. To address this need, the STEM Certification Program promotes science, technology, engineering, and mathematics education that builds content knowledge and 21st-century skills.
A Framework for STEM Learning
The STEM Education Framework is a set of research-based best practices that foster STEM learning, as well as the development of higher order 21st-century skills. This freely available resource sets out a vision for STEM curricula that prepare students to live and work in the modern world.
Recognizing Quality STEM Resources
STEM education is more important than ever—and countless organizations are developing and promoting STEM content, resources, and instructional programs for the education sector. Yet little objective information exists to help decision-makers identify high-quality materials. The STEM Certification Program addresses this need by reviewing and certifying materials aligned with our STEM Education Framework.
Interested in submitting your materials for STEM Certification?
Recognizing Quality STEM Resources
The STEM Certification Program facilitates selection of high-quality STEM materials for the education sector by reviewing and certifying materials that align with our STEM Education Framework.
How It Works
- Submit materials for review. Any curriculum, set of instructional materials, educational program, or product intended for formal or informal STEM learning may be reviewed, including instructional software, online courses, educational games, apps, and professional development resources.
- Reviews conducted by independent experts. All reviews are performed by a panel of experts with advanced degrees and deep knowledge related to the subject matter, grade level, and intended audience of the materials under review.
- Receive actionable feedback. Each review concludes with a detailed report of how the materials align to each element of the framework.
- Receive GSA Certification. Materials that align to the framework receive official certification from the New York Academy of Sciences’ Global STEM Alliance, an initiative designed to advance STEM education worldwide.
Benefits of Certification
- Recognition that your materials reflect best practices
- Official New York Academy of Sciences certification seal for use in promotional materials
- Recognition on our website
- Promotional opportunities through the Global STEM Alliance, a coalition of more than 250 partners in 100 countries and regions around the world
Professional Development Aligned to the STEM Education Framework
The Global STEM Alliance offers professional development workshops for groups of STEM educators. Please see below for our growing list of workshop offerings. We are happy to host your group at our New York City headquarters or deliver our workshops at a location that is more convenient for you.
Each workshop, listed below, requires about 12 hours spread over 1.5 days.
Menu of Professional Development Workshops
- How to Assess Learning in Modern STEM Classrooms
- Beginners Guide to Problem-Based Learning
- 10-Step Innovation Process for Middle and High School STEM Classrooms
- How to Integrate Coding into your STEM Classroom to Boost Students’ Creativity, Collaboration, Critical Thinking, and Communication
- Engineering in Science Classrooms:
- Starting the year by getting students to talk and work together like engineers
- The engineering design process in middle school science classes
- Phenomenon First: An Approach to Engaging Students in Inquiry-based Instruction
- Science Journalism: Promoting Literacy in Science Class
- Incorporating Computational Thinking in STEM Lessons
Note: If you have interest in professional development in other STEM topics, we are happy to accommodate. Please contact us to learn more.