For 200 years, the New York Academy of Sciences has brought together extraordinary people from diverse backgrounds working at the frontiers of scientific discovery. The Academy is proud to offer that same collaboration and inspiration in the Pre-College Leadership Institute, a rigorous program for high school students with a passion for science. Over the course of 5 days, students will develop their own research agenda for and create a unique scientific project in a range of disciplines to address real-world challenges within their own communities while developing valuable scientific and non-scientific skills—all under the guidance of real-life scientists. Students will learn how to think critically and in the context of today’s global scientific, economic and political context.
Students will receive a certification of completion at the end of the program and will be ready to implement their project in their community. Most importantly, students in the Leadership Institute will be empowered with the leadership, communication, and project planning tools to succeed in the sciences and beyond.
During the Leadership Institute, students will participate in a range of hands-on sessions to expand their skills in multiple areas of scientific research, including:
• Resume development for college applications to emphasize leadership for out-of-class projects
• Creating a research agenda, including literature and peer review
• Mentorship under the direction of young scientists
• Leadership in STEM with real world examples
• Communication, public speaking, and critical thinking skills for academic and career success
• Experiments at off-site scientific laboratories such as the Cold Spring Harbor Lab
• Scientific collaboration & problem-solving skills
• Building a Scientific Network & project planning
What are the dates and times of the program?
July 21st (5pm – 7pm); July 22nd – July 25th (9am – 5pm)
Where is it held?
The New York Academy of Sciences, 250 Greenwich St/7 World Trade Center, 40th Floor, New York, NY 10007
Who is eligible to apply for the program?
High School Students who are going into either 10th, 11th, or 12th grade. The Academy is unable to provide housing or transportation but non-local students are welcome to apply.
How much does the program cost?
The program costs $750. Please email email@example.com for information about financial assistance.
Lunch is included in the program cost.
How do I apply for the program?
Parents and/or guardians may register the student for the cohort. Upon confirmation of payment, the parent and/or guardian will receive an email from the Academy, which will go over next steps. In order to participate in the program, the following steps will need to be completed:
• Parent and/or guardian signs a permission slip permitting the student to attend the program;
• Parent and/or guardian provides prospective student’s email address;
• Prospective student completes email, submitting a project idea to program administration.
How many students will be accepted?
Up to 60 students will be accepted for this cohort.
When will I be notified about my application?
Priority applications are due April 1, 2017. After that, applications are accepted on a rolling basis until June 30th. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
When is the deadline for applications?
Applications accepted until the program is full or June 30th, 2016.
Are housing or travel costs included in the cost?
No; students will need to cover these costs.
Is financial aid available?
Please contact Krystal Voltaire (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information about financial assistance.
Is there a dress code?
No, although students should aim to wear clothes that permit easy movement for activities.
Contact – For more information email Krystal Voltaire (email@example.com)